cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eos T3i

dl
Apprentice

brand new camera. focus is terrible- AF very bad and manual slightly better. red focus lights in view finder are not consistent. Flash washes out pics. Any ideas what I can do? Upset is a mild word to describe my mood

6 REPLIES 6

dl
Apprentice

I just posted my issues. forgot to ask how to return this camera for repair.

What lens were you using? what was the shooting mode? what was your subject (moving or stationary)? If it is a new camera and you're not happy you can always return it. But T3i is a very capble camera.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

dl
Apprentice

hsbn----I am using the EF Satbilizer 18 to 135 lense and the EF Stabilizer 70 to 300 lense. My shooting mode was A. My subject was stationary.

This is not my first digital camera. My last camera was the CanonT1i. My experience with the T1i was excellent. Focusing and flash were perfect.

I obtained the camera through the United Rewards program. It is a brand new cameera not refurbished. This restricts the ability to return the camera. Where can I send the camera for diagnosis and repair?

This is a community help forum -- not an official way to contact Canon for help or guidance (though they do have Canon mods who sometimes chime in).

You mentioned two issues -- which I'll keep separate.

First... you're having focus issues.

I'm not sure if you're using the viewfinder or the live-view to focus but the focus system on the T3i is nearly identical to the T1i in that you have a 9 point AF system (assuming you are using the viewfinder and not live-view) with a center cross-type AF sensor and the periphery are all single-axis AF points.  

If you allow the camera to use all 9 AF points the camera is programmed to look for the point which is able to lock focus at the CLOSEST focusing distance.  E.g. if an AF point is over some distracting object which is nearer to the camera than your intended subject then the camera will gravitate to that nearer subject.  To avoid this, you can force the camera to use the focus point of your choice.

If you are using the viewfinder then the focus sensor live on the floor of the camera.  While not common... it is possible that the camera and focus sensors are not callibrated correctly.  This can vary by lens.  If this is actually the issue then Canon service can correct it, but you would want to caerfully test the focus performance to be sure before going through all the bother to send it in.    You need a good high-contrast test target and a non-moving camera.  For example... using a tripod to keep the camera steady while shooting a page of newspaper taped to the wall (because the black & white newsprint is a good high-contrast subject) would help you determine if the focus performance is working adequately.

You can also use a focus test chart -- which is even better than the newsprint.  I use a commercial chart, but here's one you can download and print yourself ... but be careful to read the instructions to make sure you're doing a valid focus test.  

http://regex.info/blog/photo-tech/focus-chart

Second... you're not happy with the look of the images when using flash.

Pop-up flash is good for "fill" lighting but not flattering as a primary (key) light source.  In other words... if you're outside shooting a subject on a sunny day in mid-afternoon, you actually SHOULD pop up the flash and force the camera to use it.  Set the "Flash Exposure Compensation" adjustment to -1 as a good starting point... this will tell the flash to fire at 50% power. That will result in the outdoor available light being the primary lighting source, but the flash will "fill" in the shadow areas to make weak shadows instead of high constrats / deep shadows.  

I have a 5D II and 5D III -- these cameras actually do not have a pop-up flash because it's not considered a very flattering look.  To get the best looking results you want to get the flash off the camera and to the side.   To have "good light" you need "good shadows" (sort of ironic and yet true.)   Also we prefer the transition from light to shadow to be gentle... not a hard, well-defined edge.  This is best created by using a broad light source rather than a tight pin-point source of light such as you get with the pop-up flash.    When we use a speedlite flash (hot-shoe mounted flash) we try to bounce the flash off a white ceiling or walls and the reflected light creates a very broad light source... a gentle shower of light rather than a harsh pin-point light source.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

You devoted a large amount of time responding to me. The info is extremely helpful. I will begin to track down solutions using your thoughts. You should write your own book on Canon EOS cameras. Thank you for sharing your knowledge. Enjoy your evening.

ScottyP
Authority
Is this your first DSLR? It does take some getting used to.

I would start with the "exposure triangle". See attached. http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/camera-exposure.htm
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
Announcements