cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

editing software

richkenney
Apprentice

How can I best edit pictures taken with my T1i?  What software do I need?  The "EOS utility" is terrible...

29 REPLIES 29

Well, I now have two computers that never had Photoshop CS2 on them in the past. The programs only non functionality is it will not allow registration of ownership. The download I used had no restrictions and I downloaded  it twice. So, if I could download it for free, and it's free, and fully functional. Then if it sounds like a duck, walks like a duck and looks like a duck?

Grey

T3 Canon

You certainly can't argue with free but in reality CS2 is not even close to CS6. It is quite capable, however, and you should learn to use it's features to the fullest. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

You certainly can't argue with free but in reality CS2 is not even close to CS6. It is quite capable, however, and you should learn to use it's features to the fullest. 

That's utter nonsense for 99.9% of photographers.  Sure, if you’re a digital artist, especially working in 3D, then the difference in the rendering engine and 3D support is huge.  But for a photographer it’s almost the same.  They added in a few tools for beginners, but for the most part you can do everything in CS2 that you can in CS6 that you would need to do for photography.  Yes, I miss this liquefy tool, but I don’t consider that photography, that’s digital art.  All the smart filters and smart objects are the equivalent of those “creative” modes on my cameras that I never use.  Sure, they can be nice if you don’t know what you’re doing, but it doesn’t give you the control of doing it yourself.

Sure, if you’re a digital artist, ...”

You are not a Photo Shop user are you?

One thing you are correct about is, Elements is enough for a lot of amateurs but certainly not all of them.

As for astronomy all the “amateurs” in our club, that I know of, use CS6.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Sure, if you’re a digital artist, ...”

You are not a Photo Shop user are you?

One thing you are correct about is, Elements is enough for a lot of amateurs but certainly not all of them.

As for astronomy all the “amateurs” in our club, that I know of, use CS6.

I am actually, for quite some time now, as I’ve stated in these forums many times.  I see it’s just more ad hominem responses from you instead of actually supporting your statements.   Elements?  Where did I say anything about Elements?  I don’t doubt that a lot of the people in your photo club use CS6, it’s the most recent version.  And I have no doubt it’s great, but that in no way supports the dismissive comments you make about ‘lesser’ versions. What I think funny about it, and why I comment, is that you imply that people with CS6 are more advanced users. Yet more advanced users know how to manually do everything these new features do (liquefy non-withstanding).   

A dissertation is not required on each comment or suggestion. It is up to the forum users to decide if the comment is worthy or not. By-the-way, it is worth exactly what you pay for it. Nothing!

Take it, or leave it.

My effort is to help people take advantage of my 40+ years of photographic experience. Maybe they will be helped, maybe not. Possibly they will not endure any of the same mistakes I have made.

You can certainly ascertain the level of a person by a few moments conversation. I stand by my statement, you may have CS2 but you do not use CS6. You would know, for instance, 3D is not a part of CS6 and is only available in CS6 Extended.

If there were not any new features added to CS6 over CS2, the fact it is 64-bit is well worth the upgrade.

Explaining the 'Elements' comment, I would prefer Elements 11 over CS2 if given a choice.

Unless, of course, the choice was a free version of CS2!

BTW, I am a beta tester for Adobe. We just got through with Light Room 5. It should be available for purchase by the end of the month if not right now. It is also a worthy consideration and it has an attractive price point for all that it does.  Plus it is not a part of the cloud if you don't want it to be.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

You can certainly ascertain the level of a person by a few moments conversation.

I couldn't agree more Biggsy, couldn't agree more...

"I couldn't agree more Biggsy, couldn't agree more..."

A starting point.Smiley Very Happy

EB

I think the referral to Elements was directed to my saying I used it.  I am an amateur astronomer using a 127mm SCT using an alt/azth tracking mount on a tripod for DSOs and planetary photography in an 8'x10' observatory. The cost of CS 6 would be over kill for the quality of the raw data my equipment can deliver. I am also a member of an astronomy club and no one uses CS6, to be fair the members are mostly visual observers and that limits a great deal of need for such an advanced program. I guess, I'm thinking, for me it is a balancing act trying to keep all the aspects of the hobby in prospective and the cost of a CS6 program is just way out of line. I guess I'll just have to accept that being unwilling to buy unneeded bells and whistles based on the data collected is somehow considered politically incorrect by some.

Be Well

Grey

T3 Canon

Oh boy am I going to look like a black sheep here... Smiley Wink

I just started using Lightroom 4, which I do find incredible for management. I'm still learning the program. However there is one management only program that runs circles around Lightroom. I tried it out, and would have purchased it, if I did not also want the ability to touch up my images. Most "pros" are familiar with Camera Bits' Photo Mechanic.

For work outside of Lightroom, I use Corel Paintshop Pro. I've used their products for years, so I'm very familiar with them. I've always found Adobe's products to be cost prohibitive for me. I'm not a professional "fer-tographer" (sorry seen that in a sig and like it), so I have to get and use the most cost-effective, ie; affordable. Since Adobe has now gone to the clouds with it's applications, I don't think I'll be using Photoshop. The whole cloud thing is just a way they can increase the price.

EOS 70D / EOS Rebel t4i / EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS II / EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS II / Sigma 17-50 f2.8/ Canon EF-S 60mm f2.8 macro/ Canon EF 100mm f2.8 macro/ Tamron 70-300mm / 430EX II Speedlite / Canon FS 300
Canon Pixma MG 3100 / Canon LiDE 2100
Adobe Lightroom 4, Canon DPP, Corel Paintshop Pro X4
Announcements