cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

editing software

richkenney
Apprentice

How can I best edit pictures taken with my T1i?  What software do I need?  The "EOS utility" is terrible...

29 REPLIES 29

I just started using Lightroom 4, which I do find incredible ...”

Did you know Light Room 5 is available? It has a couple advanced features you may like. One is the enhancements to the Spot Removal tool that allows you to heal or clone using brush strokes.

Automatically level horizons, straighten buildings, and correct other askew lines.

Apply any of Lightroom’s local adjustment attributes to a circular mask.

Plus s some bug fixes for more stability.

The upgrade cost is $79 bucks but if you 'just' bought LR 4, Adobe may let you have LR 5 for no charge.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Just my luck, I just purchased LR4 about a month ago. LR5 hadn't been released yet, was still in beta. I'll have to look into getting LR5.

EDITED:

I submitted a request to Adobe for the free upgrade. I also noticed that the system requirements do not include Vista, which is what I'm currently running. I'll see if it runs ok, if not I can go with LR4 until such time I can upgrade my PC.

EOS 70D / EOS Rebel t4i / EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS II / EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS II / Sigma 17-50 f2.8/ Canon EF-S 60mm f2.8 macro/ Canon EF 100mm f2.8 macro/ Tamron 70-300mm / 430EX II Speedlite / Canon FS 300
Canon Pixma MG 3100 / Canon LiDE 2100
Adobe Lightroom 4, Canon DPP, Corel Paintshop Pro X4

"... the system requirements do not include Vista ..."

LR5 would probably run on it but it would be so sloooowwww, you wouldn't like it. LR4 will be slow on a Vista machine but painfully usuable. Make sure you max out the RAM to 4 GB. However, single apps can only access 2 GB at a time.

EB

@ronpete wrote:

Just my luck, I just purchased LR4 about a month ago. LR5 hadn't been released yet, was still in beta. I'll have to look into getting LR5.

EDITED:

I submitted a request to Adobe for the free upgrade. I also noticed that the system requirements do not include Vista, which is what I'm currently running. I'll see if it runs ok, if not I can go with LR4 until such time I can upgrade my PC.

If you can get the upgrade, then that's great.  I certainly know the frustration of buying something only to see an upgrade come out right afterwards.

That said, and I know I’m going against the *ahem* outspoken here, but don’t feel you have to upgrade just because a new one came out.  There are two main differences with LR5 (that are important to me anyway).  There is a straightening tool they call ‘upright’, which is imperative for Architectural and Real Estate work, but most won’t miss it in other types of photography.  The other is they changed the spot tool to a brush, which in my opinion is long overdue.  That stupid spot tool is obnoxious. 

I used the Beta of LR5 and it’s nice, but I didn’t run out and upgrade when they released earlier this week, and here’s why:  I have a program called DxO which does everything upright does and it runs inside of Lightroom.  As for the spot brush, I don’t use it in LR4 unless it’s truly just a spot.  Anything bigger I just push to Photoshop and fix it there.  Would I prefer to be able to do these as part of the base LR program?  Sure, but it’s not worth $100 to me to upgrade.

The Spot Healing Brush is better in LR5 but is still not where it should be. It leaves a lot to be desired. Another upgrade to LR5 is supposed to be 'bug' fixes. We'll see?

EB

"... somehow considered politically incorrect by some."

Not at all. Unless I am not PC either because I own Elements 2, 7, 8 and 10.

You are certainly not limited to only Photo Shop for more advance editing if the need arises for you.

Adobe has gone off the deep end with their insistence of cloud subscription. But Light Room 5 is a great program. Still available for purchase out right. Full version is $149 bucks. Just a little more than what Elements 11 is.

A more feature filled, “FREE”, software is GimpShop. http://www.gimpshop.com/

Here is a blog from our best photographer. He is published in many astronomy magazines such as Sky. Maybe you would like to check him out. He will also be willing to answer any photo questions you may have. http://tomjmartinez.blogspot.com/

Here is the observatory. http://kansastravel.org/powellobservatory.htm

Keep looking up!

EB

@Greyhaven wrote:

Well, I now have two computers that never had Photoshop CS2 on them in the past. The programs only non functionality is it will not allow registration of ownership. The download I used had no restrictions and I downloaded  it twice. So, if I could download it for free, and it's free, and fully functional. Then if it sounds like a duck, walks like a duck and looks like a duck?

Grey

I know exactly how you downloaded it.  There are plenty of articles on it, on in Forbes I believe.  You can research it if you want, or not...  I've used plenty of 'borrowed' software in the past, so I'm not judging.  But I assure you, Adobe did not hand out free copies of CS2.

Thanks for the details. I also purchased Elements11.I find it quite useful, perhaps, because I do only personal imaging and mostly Astrophotography and nature photography. The more advanced CS versions are more for true professionals and very costly for a hobbyist to own.

Be Well

Grey

T3 Canon

No worries.  I totally agree, I only mentioned it as an FYI because I know there was a lot of misinformation floating around about the CS2 “release”.   This isn’t the place to steer the conversation where it’s going, but I agree, the price for Photoshop for a hobbyist is ludicrous.  I don’t know how non-full time professionals justify the cost of upgrading every year.

Tax write off is one of the benefit. Also, by keep the upgrading cycle, you'll only have to pay $199 to upgrade, normally 18-24months. $199 is not that bad but it all changed with all the cloud subscription things.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide
Announcements