cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

date stamp photos

jhajigeorgiou
Apprentice
How do I date stamp photos on my rebel T3i?
8 REPLIES 8

CajonKen
Apprentice

Don't know that you can, but if you can it will be somewhere on tthe "Menu" list.

hsbn
Whiz

I haven't seen this function in Canon DSLR.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

hcbph
Enthusiast

I'm not sure on the T4i, but check out the copyright setting.  Might put it in there so it's worth a look.

diverhank
Authority

If you are thinking about having the date appears at a corner of the pictures then it can't be done in camera.  Most serious photographers who use DSLRs really dislike the displayed date (myself included) and perhaps the reason why you can't even set it if you want to.

Every time a picture is taken, the camera embeds a date into the photo meta data (EXIF) so you can tell by looking at that.  This info, however does not always survive after being edited by some photo editing programs.  What I do to make sure with my pictures is to name the files with a date followed by a name, for example 20130615_Hummingbird.jpg so the date survives.  Luckily most photo-programs automatically code the date for you as you download the files to your computer.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Jhajigeorgiou,

Canon digital SLRs do not offer the "Date Stamp" feature found on Canon's PowerShot cameras.

The Date may be added in post processing in programs such as ZoomBrowser EX.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

BTW - not the question you asked, but just in case you weren't already aware... the camera _does_ record the date & time each image is captured... it simply does not display it as part of the image itself (it's embedded as non-displayed data in the image file.)  Pretty much any program designed to allow you to manage your digital images will read and display this date information.

The ability to "date stamp" photos was a nice idea back in the days of film when every image was being printed and you viewed physical prints in physical photo albums.  But now that images are usually viewed on a computer, there's little need print the date in the corner of the image anymore.

There are a number of utilities which will read the embedded date stamp and then add that data into the corner of your image -- so while not a built-in feature of the camera, the result is the same.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Hello Tim,

When you have a moment, could you please email me the utility that will allow me to add the date/time to the corner of my pictures.  I have a Canon 5D.

Thank you so much for your time and referral.

Ilyse

"There are a number of utilities which will read the embedded date stamp and then add that data into the corner of your image -- so while not a built-in feature of the camera, the result is the same."

Tim mentioned the ZoomBrowser EX.  A free utility that comes with Canon DSLR's.  I don't remember if it came with my 5D or not but you can d/l it from the Canon web site.

Plus, if you google it, you will find a plethora of other free and paid editors that will do it.  No DSLR, I know of will do it by itself.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements