cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T3i not recognized by Windows 10

atuk02
Contributor

Windows 10 will not recognize my eos T3i camera. I get an exclamation mark in device manager under other devices.

If there is a workaround until this problem is resolved please share your findings.

Thanks,

Albert

42 REPLIES 42

Hi Richard

Sorry that was a mis-statement, it shows in in settings under devices and printers for about 20-30 seconds before it vanishes. Not enough time to do anything. Was  fine before one of the Windows 10 upgrades.

@Meow-Meow wrote:

Hi Richard

Sorry that was a mis-statement, it shows in in settings under devices and printers for about 20-30 seconds before it vanishes. Not enough time to do anything. Was  fine before one of the Windows 10 upgrades.

Windows 10 upgrades have shown a pattern of removing software applications and drivers that it "deems" incompatible with Windows 10, despite the fact that in many cases there is nothing wrong with the software.  

I suspect that you may need to re-install device drivers.  One way to do this is open up the Devices Utility and add a new device.  I had to do this on one of my Windows 10 machines after I performed the 'free" upgrade to Windows 10.  The Canon software worked for a few days, Windows performed an update, and suddenly the laptop would not recognized the camera.  I had to "Add A Device" through the Devices Utility.  This forced the laptop to download a driver from the web, mostl likely from Microsoft.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hi Meow-Meow,

I recommend contacting our Technical Support Team for step-by-step instructions reequired to have your camera correctly recgonized. For contact options, please use this url: http://Canon.us/ContactCF

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Joer
Apprentice

keithmorg
Apprentice

I had the same maddening issue with my T3i. At first I kept blaming Microsoft's updates and then I found a surprizing thing about my T3i.  It was only recognized when I had the original kit lens attached. Do not ask me why but when I have any other lens such as my EF-S 60mm macro/portrait lens it fails to recognize the camera. I can plug the camera in, turn it on and it would read it as an "unknown USB failed to intiate" message and would not recognize the camera.  I can turn it off, put on my kit lens and turn it back on and Windows 10 recognizes the T3i again. <insert "Twilight Zone" music here>

davidawyman
Apprentice

I was having the same problem with my T5i, plug in the a USB port and it was not recognized. Different cable made no difference. I then tried another USB port and it worked fine with the same cable! The only difference; the first port was a USB 3.0 while the one where it worked was a USB 2.0 port. When I plugged into the USB 2.0 port Windows 10 said great, let me setup the necessary stuff and and is if by magic it worked. Offloaded my pics and I was happy. Now knowing that it works, I plugged into the same USB 3.0 port it is still will not recognize the camera. I know the port works because I use it with thumb drives all the time. Freaky but crappy at the same time. If it works one place it should work in the other. 

Brilliant answer & essentially so simple!  I used the original disk with drivers for my Power Shot & the program disappeared 5 seconds after opening it & plugging in the camera.  Yes my Win7 computer worked fine with the camera & program.  So I tried your suggestion of using a USB2.0 port instead of the USB3.0 ports on the new computer with Windows 10 & viola, everything works beautifully.  No need to hassle with anything else on the computer ~ camera is recognized under devices & program works like a dream.  Don't know why the Canon people can't just share this with everyone who calls in for Tech Support ~ instead you get the standard answer that they no longer support that particular model.  Thank goodness the new computer still has 4 USB 2.0 ports in addition to all the new 3.0 ports!

@orchidsplus wrote:

Brilliant answer & essentially so simple!  I used the original disk with drivers for my Power Shot & the program disappeared 5 seconds after opening it & plugging in the camera.  Yes my Win7 computer worked fine with the camera & program.  So I tried your suggestion of using a USB2.0 port instead of the USB3.0 ports on the new computer with Windows 10 & viola, everything works beautifully.  No need to hassle with anything else on the computer ~ camera is recognized under devices & program works like a dream.  Don't know why the Canon people can't just share this with everyone who calls in for Tech Support ~ instead you get the standard answer that they no longer support that particular model.  Thank goodness the new computer still has 4 USB 2.0 ports in addition to all the new 3.0 ports!

USB 3.0 ports are supposed to be backwards compatible with 2.0 ports, and it has been my experience that that's the case. Did you use the same cable with the 2.0 port as with the 3.0 port?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Yes, they're supposed to be backward compatible but on my new desktop (a Dell Vostro) was not ~ and I used the same cable on both ports.  I also tried it in the USB 3.0 Anker USB strip & it would not work there either.  Had to use one of the 4 USB 2.0 ports on the back of the computer which worked like a charm.  So, go figure!

mobels
Apprentice

Maybe this will help anyone, as posten in other topic as well:

http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Software/EOS-Utility-not-working-with-Windows-10/td-p/147789/page/...

After lot's of frustrating hours googling and trying, I now have it working.

How I made it work (in the end):

I had to install "Media Feature Pack for N edition of Windows 10 Version 1703"

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4016817/media-feature-pack-for-n-edition-of-windows-10-vers...

Apparantly the version of your windows makes a big difference and the MFP's are hard to find.

To find the exact windows version you are on:

- Click start

- Type "About"

- Select "About your PC"

- Look for Edition (in my case "Windows 10 Pro N") and version (in my case "1703")

Use this to google for "Media Feature Pack" <your edition> <your version> and you'll probably find the correct download for you.

After installation you should also be able to find "Windows media player" in your start menu. I found this the easiest way to check if installation was succesfull. Installing a wrong version of MFP will not give you an error, it'll just not work...

Announcements