cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

black spec appears on downloaded video. No issue with still photos using the same lens

Canstock
Apprentice

After downloading a video from Canon T1i using 55 mm and 55 to 200 mm zoom lens there is a noticable black spec that appears in the video

this same spec does not show up in still photos using the same lens

any suggestions as to the root cause of the issue or suggestions for repair.

thanks

2 REPLIES 2

amfoto1
Authority

@Canstock wrote:

After downloading a video from Canon T1i using 55 mm and 55 to 200 mm zoom lens there is a noticable black spec that appears in the video

this same spec does not show up in still photos using the same lens

any suggestions as to the root cause of the issue or suggestions for repair.

thanks

It is probably just something on the camera's sensor.

The reason it's showing in the video, but not in still shots can be because different lens apertures are being used. The speck is there in both cases, of course, but anything on the sensor will show up more clearly when the lens is stopped down to a smaller f-stop such as f16 or f22. At larger apertures such as f4, f2.8  it gets blurred into almost nothing. (Focal length being used can make a difference too... Or the speck may be hidden by other image details, depending upon where it's located.)

Have the camera sensor professionally cleaned or learn to clean it yourself. That should solve the problem.

You can send the camera to Canon Service Dept., or drop it off if you happen to live close to one of their locations. Or you can take the camera to an independed camera repair shop. Some better camera stores will do simple cleanings, too.

For more info about cleaning it yourself, see: www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & EXPOSUREMANAGER 

@amfoto1 wrote:

It is probably just something on the camera's sensor.

The reason it's showing in the video, but not in still shots can be because different lens apertures are being used. The speck is there in both cases, of course, but anything on the sensor will show up more clearly when the lens is stopped down to a smaller f-stop such as f16 or f22. At larger apertures such as f4, f2.8  it gets blurred into almost nothing. (Focal length being used can make a difference too... 

Maybe I'm unusually dense today, but I don't see why that's true. The image of the speck doesn't have to go through the lens in order to be recorded, so how could its sharpness be affected by the aperture setting?

I seem to recall a similar question coming up several months ago and that I had to be talked into it then as well. Maybe I've got some sort of mental block.  Smiley Frustrated

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements