cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

autofucus not working

iuliancalin
Apprentice

hi,

i have a eos 550D with a 18-55 is stm lens, version 2. i tried every setting on the camera but it seems that the autofocus it just does not work in video mode

it's all set to auto, the lens, in settings is set to face follow and so on. 

so i can press the shutter buttons and it's focusing, but after that it stays locked wenn i get closer or move a bit farther from the camera

at this point i might think that the body has some issues

any ideas?

i have noticed in eos utility 2 that the focus is set to remote manual , not sure what that means

6 REPLIES 6

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Are you focusing with live view or the viewfinder.

The whole point of pressing the shutter half way to lock focus is that in single shot mode, the focus won't change.

eather way my problem is that the camera does not focus in video mode. i have seen videos were the subject moves in front of the camera and the camera follows. my camera does not follow me i don't care about taking images, that works fine 

video mode is the problem

Your camera is working as it should.  It does not have face detection.  It does not have Movie Servo AF, which would allow it continuously autofocus in Movie Mode.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

John_SD
Whiz

@iuliancalin wrote:

it's all set to auto, the lens, in settings is set to face follow and so on. 

so i can press the shutter buttons and it's focusing, but after that it stays locked wenn i get close...

I suggest you spend some time getting to know your camera. Start here:

https://files.canon-europe.com/files/soft38013/manual/EOS%20550D_HG_EN_Flat.pdf

i did playied alot with this camera and in the settings i found

AF mode
•d : Live mode
•c : Face detection
Live mode
•f: Quick mode

but then i found a post on this forum finally were i saw that the body can't continuos focus, even tho it had facve detection and autofocus during video

so why are those settings there

anyway, thanks for responses

@iuliancalin wrote:

i did playied alot with this camera and in the settings i found

AF mode
•d : Live mode
•c : Face detection
Live mode
•f: Quick mode

but then i found a post on this forum finally were i saw that the body can't continuos focus, even tho it had facve detection and autofocus during video

so why are those settings there

anyway, thanks for responses

The "Face Detection" in your camera is an early iteration of the technology.  It works more like "human head detection" more than anything else.  The camera does not focus on eyes.  These settings are for "Live View" mode, which is used for capturing stills, not video.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements