cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would a Tamron 18-270 mm lens work with a Canon T51

JoanneYenn
Contributor

This forum has been a blessing to me, and I am asking YET another question.

I just purchased a Canon T5i and two lenses, 18-135mm and 55-250mm, thanks to the direction of this wonderful forum.

I am also looking for a lens that would work as an "all-in-one" lens for my travel photography, as changing lenses is not something I like to do on my travels.

Has anyone had any experience using theTamrom 18-270mm with the Canon T5i? Is it compatible with this camera? I read some great reviews about the lens, but do need some information.

Thank you so much!!!!

8 REPLIES 8

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Yes it will "fit" your T5i. Now will it work?  Smiley Surprised

You already know my answer. I don't like off-brand lenses and this Tammy is no exception to that statement.

You might consider one review:

Slow and occasionally indecisive autofocus

Geometric distortion across much of the zoom range

Significant chromatic aberration at wideangle and telephoto (especially 270mm)

Macro performance rather compromised (very soft at F6.3, focus shifts on stopping down)

Uneven zoom action, zoom creep when not locked

Slightly sub-par build quality

What you already have is better than most of the off-brand lenses out there. That first concern on the list should turn you off on this Tamron.  Smiley Sad

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Yes, thank you Mr. Ebiggs1. I am happy with my two lenses, but as I said in a earlier post, I am looking for an "all-in-one" lens that doesn't cost thousands of dollars. I will research if Canon has something for my T5i in that focal range that I can save up for and afford eventually.

I think I am also over-stepping my welcome on this site and I apologize. I won't ask more questions until I come up with something solid on my own. You all were just too kind and I really, really appreciate the help you gave me throughout this decision process!

"I think I am also over-stepping my welcome on this site ..."

Oh my goodness, no. Not by any stretch. 

Remember this is only my opinion of 3d party lenses. Many folks like them just fine. Perhaps you would too.

I only point out what I have personally seen in the last 45 years of doing this. My perspective is different than some or even most of the other forum users here. Your outlook really changes when you depend on your camera to put groceries on the table.

In that sense those types of lenses would never do. They probably do offer some value to the consumer and prosumer market. In the end the choice is up to you, not to me. If that Tammy does what you require, I am all for it. I must, however, point out what I perceive as weakness.

EB

Thank you for this insight. The review you kindly sent me also showed that this was definitely not the one.....I tend to agree, too, that you should use the camera manufacturer's lens. I think I ended up with the Tamron years ago because the equivalent by Canon was four times the price. But I see that Canon got the message and has finally started to produce affordable lenses for the consumer. I'm going to hold out for a Canon "one size fits all" model, simply because when you are running around taking various photos on a press trip, it often isn't practical to keep changing lenses. And sometimes I simply don't have the room to pack a bunch on lenses.

Thanks again for your valuable insight.....and for taking the time to hold my hand through this adventure!

"...and for taking the time to hold my hand through this adventure!"

It is my distinct pleasure. And all the more so if it helps you even a little bit.  Smiley Happy

EB

You may be interested in ...................

Tamron Announces APS-C 16-300mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD MACRO

EB

Wow, what a focal length. It will be interesting to see the price and read the reviews!

Thank you....I am adding to my "wish list" for the next lens.

16-300?   Would love to hear some real world reviews on this one after its in the marketplace for awhile...  

Announcements