cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would a EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM be a good addition to a Canon EOS Rebel T3?

Judy
Apprentice

Would a EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM be a good addition to a Canon EOS Rebel T3?  I do already have a Canon zoom lens EF 75-300 lens in addition to the standard 18-55 lens.

5 REPLIES 5

cicopo
Elite

It's an excellent lens and a best in class for a zoom covering that range. The real question is do you need that range in a zoom or do you need 400 + for your intended need. The 400 L is lighter & according to many focusses noticibly faster but I've never used one so can't compare. I do have & use the 100-400 a LOT.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Thank you for your good advice

sabocketti
Apprentice

I rented one and brought it with me to Italy to use on my T1i. It's a good lens and it takes great photos. The downfall is that it's very large & heavy. We had to drag it around in it's own separate carrying bag while we walked around Italy. It was great to take a shot of the top of the Duomo in Florence with it, when we were 2 miles away. We really couldn't find anything that we could use it on up close.

It depends on what you are going to do with it. If you're looking to take photos of wildlife, this would be a good lens along with a sturdy tripod. 

It's quite a jump from the kit lens and the 75-300 you have. I had both of those lenses as well, then I upgraded my 75-300 to a 70-300 and that's really all I need. I also have the 18-55 as well as a 50mm prime.

I highly recommend renting one before purchasing.  I just couldn't get used to the push-pull.  I know that some grow to love it, I just never got there.  And I really can't image buying one if you have a 70-300 (L?) unless you knew you absolutely need the range.  And even if that was the case, I might just look at the 400mm f/5.6

It says 75-300 which is a basic consumer grade lens.

I do agree that getting used to the push / pull is something some have a hard time with, myself included, but I now have 3 lenses of that design & am slowly adapting.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements