cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 64-bit driver for Canon Digital Rebel XT

mikep907
Apprentice

How do I interface my Canon Digital Rebel XT with a computer running Windows 7 64-bit?

15 REPLIES 15

Thank you for that! I got mine on Ebay and it did not come with a manual !!

@KaraEverman wrote:
Thank you for that! I got mine on Ebay and it did not come with a manual !!

Canon doesn't restrict the distribution of their manuals. You should be able to find the instruction manual for any Canon camera on their Web site. (They've recently "improved" their site, so things aren't as easy to find as they once were; but you should come across it if you poke around enough.)

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

https://superuser.com/a/1335871/234051

The Canon Rebel XT 350-D (and perhaps the XTi) are vintage cameras that have lack of driver compatibility, but they have two modes with separate issues.

Canon Rebel XT PTP Mode:

You can use PTP mode in Windows 10, but the latest firmware still has a bug that causes permanent "Busy" status while reading the CF card.

Canon Rebel XT PC Mode:

Windows XP had a 32-bit driver to connect to the camera in PC mode, but Windows 7/8/10 do not. Therefore use a Linux operating system in PC mode (works in Ubuntu 18.04).

How to Switch Modes
 Settings > Advanced Menu 2 > Communication > PC Connection

enter image description here

It's called "Normal" on the Canon 20D

enter image description here

BUT I noticed that when I plugged in the camera to the PC nothing popped up, so I had to use a progam like Shotwell (for Linux) or Microsoft Photos app (for Windows) to import the photos.

Alternatives

You can bypass the firmware and driver issues by have to using an external CF Card reader (~$20 new)

"You can bypass the firmware and driver issues by have to using an external CF Card reader (~$20 new)"

Get a good one, not a cheapo.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"You can bypass the firmware and driver issues by have to using an external CF Card reader (~$20 new)"

Get a good one, not a cheapo.

I've owned three or four good card readers and one cheapo (which I bought because it was very small and portable). The good ones are still going strong; the cheapo lasted a couple of months.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"The good ones are still going strong; the cheapo lasted a couple of months."

Yes, Robert, I used to think and recommend just any ole reader.  But experience has caused me to change that idea.  I guess it is always better to buy good stuff.  The ones in the check out gotcha shelves at Wally World are probably not the 'good' ones!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements