cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 Home (x64) wont read my camera, niether will EOS utility

brianl714
Apprentice

I recently purchased a canon t5i and tried to take pictures out. I want to do this process through EOS utility but can't. I'm stuck taking out the sd and doing it the old fashion way. I don't mind it but when I know I can plug and do but cant its frustrating me. I have a windows 10 home x64 and running the latest eos utility update that I got off the canon website for 5ti. I've tried finding solutions but they all talk about built in wifi and the 5ti doesn't have this feature. If anyone knows how to solve this or has had this issue and solve it please let me know. My Canon 5Ti firmware is 1.1.4 if that helps.

2 REPLIES 2

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@brianl714 wrote:

I recently purchased a canon t5i and tried to take pictures out. I want to do this process through EOS utility but can't. I'm stuck taking out the sd and doing it the old fashion way. I don't mind it but when I know I can plug and do but cant its frustrating me. I have a windows 10 home x64 and running the latest eos utility update that I got off the canon website for 5ti. I've tried finding solutions but they all talk about built in wifi and the 5ti doesn't have this feature. If anyone knows how to solve this or has had this issue and solve it please let me know. My Canon 5Ti firmware is 1.1.4 if that helps.

Some versions of Windows installations, the Windows 10(N) versions, do not include many media files.  I suggest only using the supplied cable with the camera to connect to your computer.  Does your computer even recognize their camera as an USB device?

Make sure you have an internet connection while the camera is connected, and try to do a Windows Update. Some versions of Windows 10 lack the Windows Media Player, which would include the basic device drivers to begin communicating with custom media devices connected to your USB port, and downloading them.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

@brianl714 wrote:

Some here would refer to removing the memory card and inserting it into a card reader as the "easy" way.  While my computer does recognize the camera when attached via USB cable, the hassle of diggout out the cable and connecting (and having the camera body and USB cable on the top of my desk while I work) is less convenient then just inserting the card into the reader on my computer.  

Also, my computer has USB 3.0 whereas the camera's USB connection speed is limited to USB 2.0.  So i can actually transfer those images to the computer much faster via the card slot then I can via the USB cable.

But... the USB cable *should* work.

If your Windows PC is on the Internet then it should recognize the camera as a new device (if it's never seen it before) and deal with the process of recognizing it as a camera.  But this assumes your computer even sees the camera attached via the USB port.

Another issue starting to become more common is the use of USB "charging" cables.  These look like ordinary USB cables, but they only connect the wires that deal with power and they don't connect the pins that deal with data.  So it's possible to grab the wrong cable and have the head-scratcher of wondering why the computer can't see the camera.   If you have the original cable that came with the camera, you might want to make sure you are using that one (assuming it isn't damaged).  Technically you can use any cable with the correct connections... provided all the pins are actually wired.

Another issue I've encountered is computer-specific... I've seen Windows do wierd things with deciding not to recognize some of it's own USB ports... literally changing ports would cause it to work.  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements