cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will NEVER BUY THIS CAMERA AGAIN

Sepiolta13
Apprentice
So I bought a Canon Rebel Ti3 for my first camera. I loved it but it only held a battery charge for an hour. I had several batteries so I always had to change them. Thinking I could not possibly get another camera that had issues when I needed a new one I got the same model. BIGGEST REGRET OF MY LIFE! My new camera doesn't auto focus. At all. No it's not the sensors or the lense or the lighting. I have had thousands of photos ruined bc my manual focus was just a tad off. I wasted the clients and models time when my photos are all ruined. I have decided to get rid of my Canon and go to Nikon. Hopefully I can get a decent working camera that does not kill my passion for photography as my Canon's have.
9 REPLIES 9

@Sepiolta13 wrote:
So I bought a Canon Rebel Ti3 for my first camera. I loved it but it only held a battery charge for an hour. I had several batteries so I always had to change them. Thinking I could not possibly get another camera that had issues when I needed a new one I got the same model. BIGGEST REGRET OF MY LIFE! My new camera doesn't auto focus. At all. No it's not the sensors or the lense or the lighting. I have had thousands of photos ruined bc my manual focus was just a tad off. I wasted the clients and models time when my photos are all ruined. I have decided to get rid of my Canon and go to Nikon. Hopefully I can get a decent working camera that does not kill my passion for photography as my Canon's have.

So do you plan to get by with a consumer-grade Nikon as well? I suppose that would at least make for a fair comparison. Most photographers who have clients and models probably wouldn't try it, but maybe you're onto something.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

RexGig
Enthusiast
I thought the T3i was an older model. If you bought pre-owned cameras, you may well have acquired problematic cameras that the previous owners did not like. When you buy your Nikon, you may wish to find a more reliable source!

Moreover, if shooting for clients, you may well wish to use a camera that offers the feature of micro-adjusting the focus. I believe the Nikon term is "AF fine-tune." Even if manually focusing, the electronic focusing indicators are still able to assist.

Lastly, a friendly bit of advice: Many consider typing in all-capital letters offensive, and a new member whose first post is a rant about a product, threatening to switch to a competitor's product, is likely to be considered a troll, specifically an "agenda troll." A much better way to start would have been to post detailed information on the malfunctions, and ask for advice.

For what is worth, I shoot with both Canon and Nikon.

Welcome to the forum!

"For what is worth, I shoot with both Canon and Nikon."

So do I.  Smiley Happy

And I suspect the OP will experience the same problens with brand-N.  Smiley Frustrated

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ScottyP
Authority
And the camera is a T3i, not. Ti3.

Someone who had actually bought and owned two of them would probably know that right?
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

This is one of those things where I'd be curious to see how you use the camera and your gear.

None of the DSLRs have a battery-life issue.  I've never been able to kill a battery even in a long full day of shotting.  I suppose its possible to kill a battery in a day, but would require an extreme amount of shooting.  I have 3 different Canon bodies (and a 4th I had for years, but sold) and none have ever had battery life issue.  I don't happen to own a T3i body, but have friends who do -- again, no issues.  If you use liveview mode you can run down the battery faster.  In my astro-imaging body (60Da) it's possible to kill a battery in a few hours... but that's because the sensor is running nearly non-stop for  the entire time (vs. more typical photography where the sensor is active for just a fraction of a second for each shot and the camera isn't technically shooting "continuously" like it is in astrophotography.  Incidentally... Canon knows this and so that particular body comes with an AC adapter in the package.

As for focus... you didn't describe what you are doing to focus -- nor elaborate on what you mean by "camera doesn't auto focus".  

Specifically which lens or lenses have you tried?  If auto-focus motors "work" but miss focus inconsistently then that's usually a problem with the lens.

What f-stop (Av) are you using when you have these focus issues?

Does every shot have a focus issue...or just some (even most)?

Is the auto-focus switch in the "AF" position? (some higher end lenses have multiple positions to allow the camera to use the full range or limit it to just part of the range if you know the subjects' approximate distances and this can speed up the AF response time.)

Are you using "liveview" or are you using the "viewfinder" to frame and focus the shot?

If using the viewfinder, which AF point or points have you tested (or do you allow the camera to auto-select the AF point)?

If you allow the camera to select, do you understand HOW the camera makes its decision?

Do you own a focus test chart and have you ever actually tested each of your lenses (using a real chart... not regular shooting.)?

Which focus mode do you use?  "One Shot", "AI Focus" or "AI Servo"?

Lastly... were these both "new" cameras (cameras from an authorized dealer that come with a warranty) or are they used cameras?

If you're having a problem with a camera and you carefully describe the problem when you first notice the issue, the community can often provide helpful advice.

If you buy a camera, have issues (but never reached out to Canon nor the community) and then bought another camera and STILL had issues (again, without reachign out to Canon or the community) then it doesn't seem reasonable to blame the gear. I noticed your post count is 1 -- which means you've never posted an issue or question before this.

Part of the expected behavior of someone who is actually a "pro" is to learn and understand the details of how the camera works, how to control it, and be confident in the operation before using it in a professional shoot.  If you knew you had a camera that wasn't working as expected and you signed up a client to do a shoot... that is not the behavior of a professional.

A serious pro own two or more bodies -- both pro grade -- and they'll have Canon Professional Services (CPS).  Both bodies will be in working order.  If anything isn't up to spec on a camera body, that camera body would be sent to CPS for priority service.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

amfoto1
Authority

I'd wager 90-95% of "camera problems" are due to a loose nut behind the viewfinder. Not always. But a lot of the time.

Got a feeling that you'll be ranting about your new Nikon(s) too, in fairly short order.

But I hope they work out well and you get your passion back.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & EXPOSUREMANAGER 

"Got a feeling that you'll be ranting about your new Nikon(s) too, in fairly short order."

Amen!  Smiley Indifferent

EB

RexGig
Enthusiast
To add to my earlier reply, I will echo what TCampbell, and perhaps others, mentioned; a "professional" will be prepared ahead of time for a shoot, with two or more cameras that are known to work well. I am not in the business of shooting for clients, but do shoot evidentiary/forensic/crime scene images for official purposes, as part of my larger duties, and my basic kit starts with two 7D Mark II cameras, two L lenses, an ST-E2, and three Speedlites, in one very rugged case.

When feasible, I bring a third body, my older 7D, with lens, yet another lens, a Macro Ringlite, and my trio of 600EX-RT Speedlites. I may, also, on a whim, bring a Nikon D700 with the excellent 60mm 2.8G Micro-Nikkor lens, and an SB-910 Speedlight. These things are options that are nice to have.

In the beginning, for budgetary reasons, my two cameras were a pair of the XTi/400D, a much earlier model than the T3i. Good work can be done with the consumer-level cameras. Some professionals, who have small hands, or a pressing need for light weight, will continue to use consumer-level camera bodies, even when they can afford to buy the semi-pro and pro cameras.

I do have one theory about part of your problems. Your older cameras may well have been acquired pre-owned, after the previous owners had heavily used the original batteries. Lithium-Ion batteries are not immortal, having a finite number of optimum discharge-recharge cycles before performance deteriorates. Another factor is that battery chargers are, also, consumable items, requiring ongoing inspection.

"... continue to use consumer-level camera bodies, even when they can afford to buy the semi-pro and pro cameras."

It hasn't anything to do with the size or the product the consumer cameras make. It is the duribility factor.  They simply will not hold up to the day in, day out rugged abuse of a pros life.

As a matter of fact I always carried something like the G15 with me!  I had five XTi's.

EB
Announcements