cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi on canon

marka01
Apprentice

hi,

Is there a canon eos with a decent wifi in-built? I currently have 1300D eos but wifi is really poor. 

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@marka01 wrote:

hi,

Is there a canon eos with a decent wifi in-built? I currently have 1300D eos but wifi is really poor. 

What is it that you are trying to do?  

Most people hear the phrase “built-in WiFi” and automatically think “networkable, which not exactly what it means.  I, for one, was initially misled until I began reading about what the capabilities are.  The functionality is somewhat limited because the data bandwidth is limited.

The 1300D is sold in the US as the Rebel T6.  Read the description of the wireless capabilities in the Overview at this link.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-rebel-t6-18-55mm-f35-56-is-ii-kit

Then click on the “Features” tab, and take a look at the diagram of the wireless connections that are possible.  It is limited.  I do not see an icon on the “wireless diagram” that indicates that it can wirelessly connect to computer on a local network.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

It is limited. It is so limited to a point it does not connect to Windows 10 PC or Android phone. Only connects to iPhone for some reason..

I started to look if there is some external Wifi adapter to use with this camera but do not see any decent options except some Wifi WE-1 SD card. Will see how that one works. But I cannot understand how come there are no decent Wifi options for Canon cameras in year 2019? 🙂

@marka01 wrote:

It is limited. It is so limited to a point it does not connect to Windows 10 PC or Android phone. Only connects to iPhone for some reason..

I started to look if there is some external Wifi adapter to use with this camera but do not see any decent options except some Wifi WE-1 SD card. Will see how that one works. But I cannot understand how come there are no decent Wifi options for Canon cameras in year 2019? 🙂

The 1200D is at or near the bottom of the entry level camera lineup.  It is limited in more ways than just Wi-Fi.  According to the descriptions at the Canon link I posted, it should work well with Android smart devices.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-rebel-77d-body-digital-slr

The top-of-the-llike entry level cameras, like the 800D offer more flexible wireless performance.  But, I ask again.  What are you looking to do with the wireless connection?  It does not transfer data quickly, and Wi-Fi SD cards are even slower and more limited than Canon’s built-in Wi-Fi.

There are third party devices out there, but many of them cost so much that you are better off buying a more advanced camera.

My camera model is 1300D (updated version of 1200D). I know it is supposed to work with Android but unfortunatelly after trying for hours and changing various wifi settings - it just does not connect. On iPhone I does connect on same settings. But also it is not as straight forward or user friendly (my wife struggles to connect sometimes). 

What I want is basically when you take a photo with a camera - it shows up on your laptop (tablet) or phone screen. I have seen this done in some shows where they used some external adapter attached to a camera. But when I browsed amazon for those adapters I could see some really poor reviews. That's why I need your advice here. 

I would imagine if Canon camera had 802.11 ac standard or at least 802.11n it would be sufficient for a RAW photo to show up relatively quick on a screen. But I do not see this mentioned in Canon camera specs. The reason I want it on Windows 10 is because I happen to have Microsoft Surface Book 2 where you can de-attach screen and it becomes Windows 10 tablet basically.

So I would appreciate if you share some light on how better are those upper level Canon models in relation to WiFi. 

@marka01 wrote:

My camera model is 1300D (updated version of 1200D). I know it is supposed to work with Android but unfortunatelly after trying for hours and changing various wifi settings - it just does not connect. On iPhone I does connect on same settings. But also it is not as straight forward or user friendly (my wife struggles to connect sometimes). 

What I want is basically when you take a photo with a camera - it shows up on your laptop (tablet) or phone screen. I have seen this done in some shows where they used some external adapter attached to a camera. But when I browsed amazon for those adapters I could see some really poor reviews. That's why I need your advice here. 

I would imagine if Canon camera had 802.11 ac standard or at least 802.11n it would be sufficient for a RAW photo to show up relatively quick on a screen. But I do not see this mentioned in Canon camera specs. The reason I want it on Windows 10 is because I happen to have Microsoft Surface Book 2 where you can de-attach screen and it becomes Windows 10 tablet basically.

So I would appreciate if you share some light on how better are those upper level Canon models in relation to WiFi. 

Yes, my mistake.  I began typing 1200D instead of 1300D at some point.  Your camera is not networkable, so forget about everything you know about how 802.11 works.  It does not apply to your camera.

Generally, RAW photos cannot be transferred to smart devices, because smart devices do not know how to read a RAW file.  I am not sure how well the camera can wirelessly connect to two different devices, alternating between the two.  

You might try contacting Canon Support in your area for the best advice.

As stated, add-on wifi is ify at best.

1. the Canon W E-1 card is a special device that only works with selected Canon cameras with dual card slots. It is not an SD data card; it is a wifi device in an SD card form factor.

2. Certain Canon cameras were compatible with EyeFi cards, but they are no longer made. The compatibility issue was important because that would prevent the camera from powering down if data was being transmitted. Without that compatibility it was necessary to defeat power off timer until data was transfered and then re-activating so battery didn't drain.

3. Toshiba makes a FlashAir-04 card that supposedly uses EyeFi protocol, but reviews are mixed.

4. iPad and iPhone will read RAW files from most Canon cameras. Tether Tools CaseAir seems to do what you want.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@marka01 wrote:

Forget about a Wi-Fi SD card.  They do not perform as well as the built-in Wi-Fi.  This is the product support page for the Rebel T6.  The EOS 1200D is slightly different, depending upon the country where it was sold.  For example, your battery charger will be different from what appears in the manuals for US products.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/eos-dslr-and-mirrorless-ca...

Click on “Manuals”, and look for the Wi-Fi Instruction Manual.  In some countries, the wireless capabilities are limited by local laws.

Announcements