cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wide angle DOESN'T look wide. Why????

photogrrrl8
Apprentice

I have a Rebel Xti.  I attached a Zeikos 0.45x Wide Angle Lens (58mm) to the factory lens (0.52mm) on my camera.  But when I look through the viewfinder, the view in NOT wide.  Nothing looks different compared to when the wide angle lens was off.  I've tried different modes and aperatures but I have no idea what's going on.  I'm a newbie so some step-by-step instruction would be greatly appreciated.  It can't be this hard!  Thanks very much 🙂

13 REPLIES 13

10mm is the widest AOV lens I know of for the crop size sensor that all Rebels and xxD and 7D cameras have. As sensors get smaller it becomes more difficult to make UWA (ultra wide angel) lenses. Conversely it becomes more difficult to make telephoto lenses for large format cameras like the Hasselblad 907X 50C or Fujifilm GFX 100.

For full frame (FF) cameras like the 1DX Mk III have 180 degree "fisheye" lenses. I have an 8mm lens for mine FF cameras.

I know of no fisheye lenses for the smaller sensors. I am guessing it would have to be in the 5mm range.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@John_ wrote:

EB that's very interesting noting that 104-degree FOV. What is the widest FOV lens, is there one that gets to 180 FOV? Or is that impossible?

I think there are a couple of single digit millimeter fisheye lenses from Meike, Rokinon, and probablhy a few others, but they are made for ASP-C sensor body cameras.  Some go full monty, and show a round image circle.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you!

Again, I know of no lens for the Rebel that is smaller than the 10mm zoom made by Canon. Two choices, the EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, less expensive and the EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM which is a bit more expensive.

If there are other makers, I can imagine they are pretty bad, probably junk.  You can use any of the EF Canon lenses, however, for instance the Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Lens. The problem, it will not perform like it does on a 1DX Mk III or any other FF camera. Another choice in the EF line might be the EF 11-24mm f/4L USM. Both of these are expensive to very expensive lenses because they are difficult to make any why some cheap off brand lens is not going to be very good.

There could certainly be some lenses out there I am not aware of but for a cropper check it out carefully, it could be pretty bad. IMHO, as always!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements