cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why the T4i,T5i, and T6i are a waste of money for video

CJwhoopers
Apprentice

I feel the need to inform you guys on why upgrading to the newest canon rebels is not really worth it if video is your main focus. The specs that have changed over the years have been pretty cool im not going to argue that. Touch screen, wifi compatable, a few more pixels added and maybe for photos its a bit quicker and more accurate.  But in terms of someone that wants to do videos with this camera nothing has really changed. All the models from the T2i and above have had the same video settings.

Here is a prime example of why knowing how to use your camera to the fullest of its ability will out do buying the newer model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74BwUo8ci9Q&t=0s

Its not what the camera can do, it's what you can do with the camera.

14 REPLIES 14

@ebiggs1 wrote:

If I wanted to do video, I would buy a video camera.  Not a still camera that doubles as a video camera. Smiley Wink

Shooting video is one technique for capturing a high number of "frames" in a short period of time, so that you can later stack them and reduce the noise.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

At greatly reduced resolution with a lot of compression - Individual frames are interpolated. Canon's are not Red's.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

I'll try to answer a few questions & commnets in this single response.

The camera has no problem using the telescope as a lens.  While there is more than one way to achieve this, primarily you need something that mates to the camera's lens mounting flange (so it needs the Canon EOS bayonet-type mounting ring).   That handles the connection to the camera body... but you also need a way to attach to the telescope side as well.  

The telescope side could use a "T-adapter" or it could use a camera "nose piece".  The nose piece is just a barrel that has the same diameter as a visual telescope eyepiece.  It slips into the focuser... just like an eyepiece would.

Some telescopes have a threaded attachment point (a Schmidt Cassegrain class telescope might have an "SCT" thread.  Many scopes have a "T-thread").  I tend to prefer the simple nose-piece (that slipes into the focuser just like an eyepiece.

The scope has no adjustable aperture and no electronics.  It's not an "EOS" lens.  The camera mounting ring doesn't require any special electronics.  This isn't a problem for the camera.

I have LOADS of astronomy buddies who use EOS Rebel series bodies.  

As for the stacking...

When shooting deep-sky objects (objects not in our solar system) the exposures tend to be very long and these "long" duratation exposures tend to accumulate a lot of noise.  Stacking helps reduce the noise.  

When shooting planets, the objects are bright and captured using video (not still images).  You'd collect a couple of minutes worth of video frames (at a high rate such as 60 fps).    But these planets are tiny... just a few arc-seconds from edge to edge (not a few degreees... or a few arc-minutes).  This means the effects of atmospheric distortion take a heavy toll on the detail and clarify of the object.  The point of stacking here is to help clean up the image quality to produce a final good looking from from a lot of not-so-sharp frames.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanx!   I was correct to assume that you were indicating that the Canon EOS will in fact record video without a camera lens. I was able to test it out less than an hour ago. In order to do it, I had to attach an EOS bayonet ring to a Telvue Paracor (I still need to get a regular "t").  However, when I turned the camera on I got an exclamation message saying that I needed make sure a lens was attached to the camera.  This explains why some people might erroneously think that the Canon EOS will not record video in that configuration.    Actually, the message is not saying that you cannot do it... ...it's just that the video will be badly out of focus. Here, your remark about "using the telescope as a lens" is germane. I hooked the camera configuration to my finderscope and voila! It worked!

Now I can start getting things together to checkout all the other stuff you put in you reply.  I have most of the hardware necessary to do it. I just need to get a few more accessories and the stacker software. 

Next question. Have you tried to use burst mode with stacker?  I would think you could get MUCH higher resolution with it.

V/R - Tom B.

Thanx! And, in fact, the Canon t6s CAN record video without a camera lens. I was able to test it out less than an hour ago.  To do it, I had to attach an EOS bayonet ring to a Telvue Paracor (I still need to get a regular "t").  However, when I turned the camera on, I got an exclamation message saying that I needed make sure a lens was attached to the camera.  This explains why some people might erroneously think that the Canon EOS will not record video in that configuration.    Actually, the message is not saying that you cannot do it... ...it's just that the video will be badly out of focus. Here, your remark about "using the telescope as a lens" is germane.  I hooked the camera configuration to my finderscope without the camera lens, and voila! It worked!

Now I can start getting things together to checkout all the other stuff you put in you comment. I have most of the hardware necessary to do it. I just need to get a few more accessories and the stacker software.

Next question: Have you tried using burst mode with stacker? I would think that you could get MUCH higher resolution with it.

V/R - Tom B.

Announcements