cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does the view finder go black when videoing?

LydiaDavenport
Contributor

I am very upset. I went to an air show this weekend and it is impossible to see 'where' you are with the LCD Monitor.
If the viewfinder had not gone black. I could at least seen 'where' I was while filming.
None of my videos were good b/c I was either too high or too low!

5 REPLIES 5

Tiffany

Hi LydiaDavenport!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know exactly what model camera you're using. 
 Any other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue.

Thanks and have a great day!

EOS Rebel T3 EOS 1100D

When you are videoing the mirror has to go up to allow the light to reach the sensor. Just like why the viewfinder goes black when you take a photo.

You need to look into something like the Hoodman loupe (pun intended).

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Well, personally, it stinks! Pun intended!

I have a little Power Shot SD780 IS that is a lot better camera. I have sometimes wished my husband hadn't bought this one!
At least when I tape...I can still see thru the viewfinder!!!!!!!

This is simply the nature of nearly all SLR cameras. They have to flip the mirror up out of the way in order to take video (or shoot stills using Live View). When the mirror is up, the focus screen is covered and the optical viewfinder is blacked out. Keep in mind that SLRs are primarily a still photography camera, and shooting video is sort of an add-on feature.

You can get shades and loupes for the LCD screen, that might help. Or use a dark cloth, the way we did shooting with large format film view cameras! Smiley Happy

If you use a particular focal length, you also might be able to use an accessory viewfinder that fits into the hot shoe of the camera. This would remain usable even during video or Live View shooting, but will have paralax error issues with close-up objects, and you'll have to be careful to match the angle of coverage of the viewfinder with that of your lens. 

Alternatively, there are some SLR cameras with Electronic Viewfinders that stay "live" during video or Live View shooting. Those often have a bit of delayed response, though, which may make it difficult to use with any degree of accuracy with moving subjects.

Or just keep using your Power Shot for videos and use your DSLR for still shots (the DSLR is undoubtedly a much better camera for still shots... if nothing else the considerably larger image sensor will give superior image quality).

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements