cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does my T3i shut down on video recording when using a class 10 SD card?

TonyAnt
Contributor

With a class 10 speed SD card, my T3i will only shoot photos, but shuts down on video.  I've been using 32GB class 4 cards lately, simply for photography.  The manual says use a class 6 SD card, or higher, when shooting video for proper recording.  Does anyone have any suggestions on why its shutting down on me?  Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

He meant a low quality brand of card, not camera. 8^)

Did you low level format the card in the camera?

Did you try a different brand of card? I had no problems with my T3i.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

How long does it take to "shut down"? Could it be getting hot? Have you tried a lower resolution like 720x480 as an experiment?

The T3i shuts down immediately.  As soon as I switch from photos to video.  No time to get hot.  I haven't tried a lower res. since I have to shoot high res.

diverhank
Authority

My only guess is that even in class 10...there are various speeds and your class 10 card is not fast enough.  I'd get an SD card that can handle 30MB/sec or something like that...faster is better.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Thanks for replying diverhank!  The only problem is I can shoot video with a class 4 with no problem, which is slower, but a class 10 shuts it down.  Does anyone think the class 10 is too high?

@TonyAnt wrote:

Thanks for replying diverhank!  The only problem is I can shoot video with a class 4 with no problem, which is slower, but a class 10 shuts it down.  Does anyone think the class 10 is too high?

A class 10 should work just fine.  Not unless you have a low quality brand, a mini-card with an adapter, or too many GB for the camera to know what to do with and format properly.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks Waddizzle!  This Canon is high quality.  That much I know.  The class 10 card is a 32GB, but so is my class 4, so class 10 shouldn't have any issues.  Its difficult to find a class 6 locally, so that's why I'm even using a class 10 card.

He meant a low quality brand of card, not camera. 8^)

Did you low level format the card in the camera?

Did you try a different brand of card? I had no problems with my T3i.

Doh!  Channeling my inner Snoop Dogg, 'My bad, Waddizzle my shnizzle'.  I misunderstood you.

Thanks everyone for your advice.  It turns out that someone had used the card, formatted it for their camera, but didn't tell me.  I thought it was a new SD card when it was given to me.  kvbarkley's suggestion of a low level format prompted me to do a format since I had nothing to lose.  Then I find out that there's 8GB of footage on the card that I couldn't see due to the camera shutting down when switching to video (and playback didn't work either).

Problem solved.  Brainstorming is still the best problem solving method!  Thanks again everyone!

Announcements