cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do my photos come out with a green tint after setting my white balance? - Canon T3i Rebel

WhtBalanceBlues
Apprentice
I was following a video tutorial on white balance and was told to keep an eye on my histogram and made sure the bars were close/on the right edge before photographing and setting my white balance photo. Following his directions to the t, but end results are inexplicably green...

I take anywhere between 100-300 product photos a day and was looking to up my photo game. Taking the time to individually edit each photo to knockout the background is NOT an option.

In short:

• I am using a Canon T3i Rebel.

• Camera is updated to latest firmware.

• Adjusting WB SHIFT/BKT has no/very minimal affect on photos.

• Backdrop is used to set white balance reference, it's as white as paper.

• 5000k lights used if that matters.

• Photos look fine if histogram bars have the tiniest bit of separation from edge, but then white backdrop doesn't remain white, remaining off-white and dull looking.

• Picture below to visually demonstrate what is happening to my photos.

IMG_0029.JPG

13 REPLIES 13

@kvbarkley wrote:

BTW, it appears that the OP has left the building.

Are you surprised? You guys hijacked his discussion like you often do!

--
Walter
in Davie, FL

The thread was "hijacked"?  Nah, I don't think so. There was just one nit-picker.  He was answered.

I gave a concise remedy early on. The OP was probably satisfied. Smiley Happy

"Your post and the fact you are using a fairly old Rebel implies, that at one time the photos were good.  Yes, no?

This should tell you, you set something incorrectly or you do have a camera fault.  Do this little test.  Remove any and all attachments to the camera and the lens. Nothing but a bare camera and a bare lens. No battery, no grip, no SD card, no filters nothing .

Charge the battery fully. Install it. Mount the lens and put the switch on AF. Put the camera to "P" mode and reset it to default. Menus, tools, clear all settings and clear all custom settings. Format the SD card. Set WB to average. ISO 200 and use One shot.  Go outside on a nice bright day and take some shots.  Take different subjects. If the pictures look good there is nothing wrong with the camera. And, you did screw up something. If on the other hand they still look off call Canon. 1 (800) 652-2666"

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Don't think it was so much of a hijack as a clarification. If the OP searched his camera's menus and adjustments I doubt he'd find any reference to an Average White Balance setting.

I just figured the OP is one of those people with a real life and a job and maybe a family that occupies most of his time.

Smiley Wink

Auto White Balance is somewhat of a misnomer and should more accurately be called Average White Balance.  Cameras aren't smart. They dutifully record whatever color casts they see. You can set them to a specific white balance setting to overcome this. Auto white balance, averages, using a specific set of instructions what it sees and does a great job, but it is just guessing. In effect it averages the scene. It is similar to the way it works in post editors like LR and PS.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements