cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do my photos come out with a green tint after setting my white balance? - Canon T3i Rebel

WhtBalanceBlues
Apprentice
I was following a video tutorial on white balance and was told to keep an eye on my histogram and made sure the bars were close/on the right edge before photographing and setting my white balance photo. Following his directions to the t, but end results are inexplicably green...

I take anywhere between 100-300 product photos a day and was looking to up my photo game. Taking the time to individually edit each photo to knockout the background is NOT an option.

In short:

• I am using a Canon T3i Rebel.

• Camera is updated to latest firmware.

• Adjusting WB SHIFT/BKT has no/very minimal affect on photos.

• Backdrop is used to set white balance reference, it's as white as paper.

• 5000k lights used if that matters.

• Photos look fine if histogram bars have the tiniest bit of separation from edge, but then white backdrop doesn't remain white, remaining off-white and dull looking.

• Picture below to visually demonstrate what is happening to my photos.

IMG_0029.JPG

13 REPLIES 13

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Your photos are green probably because you played around with WB compensation and settings.  Switch the camera to P mode and go into the menus and reset it back to factory defaults.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Get a grey point reference like a WhiBal.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Your post and the fact you are using a fairly old Rebel implies, that at one time the photos were good.  Yes, no?

This should tell you, you set something incorrectly or you do have a camera fault.  Do this little test.  Remove any and all attachments to the camera and the lens. Nothing but a bare camera and a bare lens. No battery, no grip, no SD card, no filters nothing .

Charge the battery fully. Install it. Mount the lens and put the switch on AF. Put the camera to "P" mode and reset it to default. Menus, tools, clear all settings and clear all custom settings. Format the SD card. Set WB to average. ISO 200 and use One shot.  Go outside on a nice bright day and take some shots.  Take different subjects. If the pictures look good there is nothing wrong with the camera. And, you did screw up something. If on the other hand they still look off call Canon. 1 (800) 652-2666

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

What is "Average" White Balance?

I suspect he meant "Automatic" white balance.

Also, to the OP . . .Are you by chance shooting with LED lighting? Are you seeing the same green shift on both your monitor and the camera's LCD display?

"What is "Average" White Balance?"

I was not going to respond to this, however, since BurnUnit did, I will also. I guess it is possible that you and perhaps some other newbies don't know.  Average or Auto WB is a best guess algorithm to set WB used by a DSLR.  It has a limited range and if you don't know what to set, it can get you pretty close or even correct WB.. Most DSLRs have it as a selection, but I admit I don't have a Rebel T3i so I really can not confirm that.

One of two things, the OP either set something wrong or he has a faulty camera. The simple test I outlined will tell which it is.

This forum sure has a bunch of nit-picky people. More than our fair share! Smiley Frustrated

EB

AWB stands for Auto White Balance, not "Average" White Balance. I am picky since we do get a lot of newbies here.

" I am picky since ..."  Totally agree!  "... we do get a lot of newbies here."  And some stay that way forever. Smiley Frustrated

EB

BTW, it appears that the OP has left the building.

Announcements