cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are the highlights always blown out on every picture I take with my Rebel T1i?

ks4greenthumb
Contributor

Hello, my name is Kevin and I am new to photography and to this forum. I fell in love with photography this year ( 2014 ) when my Dad gave me his old Rebel XT. I used it for 6 months and had no problems with it at all. However, when I saw a good deal for a Rebel T1i on EBay, I bought it. Ever since I started using the T1i every picture I take that has any highlights is pretty much completely blown out, at least the bright areas are blown out. I've tried every setting on the camera to help prevent this to no availe. I can take a picture of the trees with a stormy overcast sky and with the XT I'll get a good exposure but with the T1i the sky will be totally blown out. I turned the HTP on and off, I turned ALO on and off, I've tried every possible combination of features on and off but it still seems to be over exposing the highlights. And it's only the highlights. I can use exposure compensation to darken the over exposed highlights but that totally removes any shadow detail. I'm starting to think that something may be wrong with the camera, like with the metering system or something. Does anyone have any thoughts on the matter, I sure would appreciate some help here !!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Dukai wrote:
Hi,
A bit late but I am having the exact same issue with the Canon 80d. I bought the camera a few month ago, coming from a 600d (t3i) that got stolen. I am more and more convinced there must be an issue with the metering or sensor of some sort that's constantly blowing out the high lights on pictures where it shouldn't (I think)... At least I'm pretty sure my old 600d did a better job regarding dynamic range and I find it weird.
For instance I have tried an experiment, I have just taken a scene's measure in high light and shadow using the spot measure and locking to iso100 at f5,6. The highest speed in the highlights gives me 1/1250 and 1/15 in the shadow, that's a bit less than 6 stops difference. Now if I go slower than 1/250, the highlights are blown out. At the same time, at 1/250 I lose tons of details in the shadow...
I don't have another camera to compare by taking the exact same shot with same lens, settings and scene so I'm not sure if I'm wrong. I'm not an expert so I'm not confident enough either to send the camera to repair or not... What do you guys think?
ks4greenthumb> it's already 3 years ago but, did you find a solution go your problem?
Thanks!
Ps English isn't my mother language, I hope you understand 🙂

It sounds like what happens when the scene is backlit. (I.e., the sun is in your eyes, leaving blown highlights in the background and foreground subjects in shadow.) The usual solution is to use fill flash to brighten the foreground and reduce the dynamic range. But if you do that, don't use spot metering.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

hsbn
Whiz

There is nothing wrong with it. Any camera has a limit "dynamic range", so you cannot capture everything as your eyes see it. An overcast sky is really bright even though it doesn't look like it. So most object placing against it will be dark. If you increase the exposure to brighten up the subject, the sky will overexpose. If you reduce the exposure for the sky, the object will be way underexpose.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

ScottyP
Authority
You have literally shot the same scene at the same time using both cameras? And the XT does not blow out the sky and the T1i does?

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Yes. Literally. I'm at a complete loss here. 

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Are you saying under the exact same conditions side-by-side the XT doesn't blow out highlights but the T1i does?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

With both cameras around my neck I can shoot a frame that has a tree line with fall colors and a dark overcast sk . The XT will give me a great Evaluated exposure and the T1i will give me a what looks like a Spot exposure for the trees with a blown out sky, but I have the T1i set for Evaluative NOT Spot. I have a bad feeling that there's something wrong with the light meter in the camera. Does that happen?

Can you post some photo with exif data intact?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

I think I can pull that off.......how hard can it possibly be !!!! 😨

You have answered your question.  If the two simular cameras (XT - T1i) with the same settings,  with the same lens and in the same settings, is not making nearly the same photo, there is something wrong with one camera.

Your job is to make sure these conditions are met.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

What lens?

Announcements