cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are my photos and videos looking so grainy?

residenthipster
Apprentice

So about a year ago a bought a Canon SL1 and have been very happy with it. Recently, though, my more refined eye has been noticing a very large amount of noise, lots of grain and very fuzzy blacks, in both my photos and videos. I attached a few photos and a video to give you an example of the very low-quality shots I've been getting. My question is this: Am I getting these results because of the SL1 itself, the lenses I use, or the lighting. I have a feeling that the lens is contributing very largly to my problem since I only have the stock 18-55 mm and the lower end 75-300mm canon zoom lens.  I have been experimenting with lighting a lot, epsecially indoors, and I have found that even when the room is well lit the fuzziness in the darker areas still persists. I also doubt that it's my camera itself since I have seen VERY many examples of phenominal shots taken with it, with different lenses.

The current lens I am looking at getting is this one. Since I'm in highschool, I don't want to blow $500+ on a lens right now and I feel like this one offers a lot for the pricing. I am looking for a wide angle and not quite so much zoom. Am I going in the right direction with this?

Here are a few sample photos of the quality I've been getting: 

Pines.jpgBaby.jpg

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The baby shoot looks fantastic!  The outdoor shot apppears to have been taken on an overcast day.  Do you know how to call up the specific shot settings and shooting modes of the camera when the shots were taken?  Knowing that would go a long way towards proper evaluating the quality of your images.

Also, how much post processing are you doing on the images?  Is your camera set to store the image files in RAW mode, or as JPEGS?  What resolution is your camera set to use to save images? Which lens did you use, and what focal length?

Help someone to help you.  Describe as much as you can about the shooting conditions and the camera settings when you took the shots.

BTW, they look fine to me, especially the baby shot.  The outdoor shot looks like an overcast day, that's all. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you very much for the compliments! 😄 Currently my images are stored as JPEG since I don't have any proper software to edit RAW and the files are very large. I have not touched these images besides lowering the resolution a little so they would upload. Usually though, I'll import my favorites from a photo shoot onto OneDrive, download them onto a mobile device, and edit them through VSCO or Instagram from there - https://www.instagram.com/resident_hipster - I know it would be smarter to edit with Lightroom, but right now that's a little pricy for me, and I'm decentely pleased with VSCO and Instagram as photo editers. 

Okay so here is some of the information about the pine shot. I did take it on an overcast day with the zoom lens I mentioned in my origonal post. I shot this on a dock, very far away from my subject. 

Dimensions: 5184 x 3456

Color representation: sRGB

F-stop: F 5.6

Exposure Time: 1/400 sec

ISO: 3200

Focal Length: 300 mm 

Metering: Pattern

Here's some information about the baby shot. I took it indoors in a very badly lit room. With this one, although the shot looks nice, the darker areas of the photo bother me. Like if you zoom closer to those spots, it is super fuzzy. I also shot this one with my zoom lens, suprisingly.

F-stop: F 4

Exposure Time: 1/100 sec

ISO: 6400

Focal Length: 75 mm 

Metering: Center Weighted Average

Any idea why the video turned out so badly? It doesn't look smooth and soft but very pixelated and badly colored. It was shot at a resolution of 1280 x 720 at 60 FPS with the my zoom lens.

Thank you so much for all the help! Let me know if there's any more information you need

Hi,

I am not an expert with digital photography. I am just starting out, moving from film to digital and learning how different they are! It's humbling.

But the high ISO of 6400 would cause graininess. Was there a reason you used that ISO?  I would think that ISO 200-400 would have produced a good shot.

That said, I  like the tree shot and see potential in it - maybe if you went into Photoshop you could get it the way you like it and maybe use the graininess to your advantage. 

I agree the baby shot looks really good for indoors.

Anyway, that's what came to mind.

I hope you continue to enjoy the photography. I keep telling myself not to give up; each shot seems a little better than the last one! 🙂

Annie

@residenthipster wrote:

Thank you very much for the compliments! 😄 Currently my images are stored as JPEG since I don't have any proper software to edit RAW and the files are very large. I have not touched these images besides lowering the resolution a little so they would upload. Usually though, I'll import my favorites from a photo shoot onto OneDrive, download them onto a mobile device, and edit them through VSCO or Instagram from there - https://www.instagram.com/resident_hipster - I know it would be smarter to edit with Lightroom, but right now that's a little pricy for me, and I'm decentely pleased with VSCO and Instagram as photo editers. 

Okay so here is some of the information about the pine shot. I did take it on an overcast day with the zoom lens I mentioned in my origonal post. I shot this on a dock, very far away from my subject. 

F-stop: F 5.6

Exposure Time: 1/400 sec

ISO: 3200

Focal Length: 300 mm 

Metering: Pattern

Here's some information about the baby shot. I took it indoors in a very badly lit room. With this one, although the shot looks nice, the darker areas of the photo bother me. Like if you zoom closer to those spots, it is super fuzzy. I also shot this one with my zoom lens, suprisingly.

F-stop: F 4

Exposure Time: 1/100 sec

ISO: 6400

Focal Length: 75 mm 

Metering: Center Weighted Average

Any idea why the video turned out so badly? It doesn't look smooth and soft but very pixelated and badly colored. It was shot at a resolution of 1280 x 720 at 60 FPS with the my zoom lens.

Thank you so much for all the help! Let me know if there's any more information you need

Several things there is only so much a camera can do when the lighting is poor. A long distance telephoto shot on a hazy day is going to look hazy.

You camera came with 'proper' software to edit RAW. Canon Digital Photo Professional (especially DPP 4) is an outstanding RAW editor and was included free with your camera.

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/galleries/galleries/tutorials/dpp4_tutorials.shtml

Also what 'Picture Style' are you using?

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/picturestyle/

As far as a lens upgrade, you might want to consider replacing your 75-300 with the EF-S 55-250 IS STM. It is an outstanding lens that can be purchased for $129 refurbished with Canon's Holiday pricing.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/ef-s-55-250mm-f4-5-6-is-stm-telephoto-zoom-lens-refurbishe...

ScottyP
Authority

Hi,

Unfortunately one one of the differences between a crop sensor camera like a Rebel or SLI is that they do not handle high ISO settings as well as a full frame camera. I had a T3i and except in an emergency I would not shoot it above ISO 800 because higher than that I got grainy images and lack of fine resolution to an extent I found unacceptable. 

suggestions:

Start shooting in RAW. You can correct noise a lot better in RAW. 

Start post processing. Use the free Canon software or buy Adobe Lightroom or some other program. 

Pick up a brighter lens. For the price you can't beat the NEW 50mm f/1.8 STM lens for $110.00. Avoid the previous version.  At f/1.8 your lens admits more than 4x the amount of light your kit 18-55 lens can. That means where you were shooting at ISO 3200 with the kit lens you could be at ISO 800 with the brighter lens. 

Don't shoot too fast a shutter if you don't need it.  None of your shots had fast motion so shooting 1/400th of a second would be unnecessary. If you could get by with 1/100th of a second that is 2 more stops of light saved so you can lower ISO from ISO 800 to ISO 200.  Major improvement. 

Nice shots though. Keep enjoying yourself and good luck!

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

residenthipster
Apprentice

@amatula, That's the answer I was looking for! I didn't know that a high ISO caused graininess. Honestly, I just had my camera set on program, so for some reason my auto ISO decided to set itself at that. And I'm glad you like the images 🙂 Always keep taking pictures! Even if they don't turn out to be professional quality, just have fun with it 😄

@ScottP, Knowing that a crop sensor cannot handle high ISO as well is SO helpful! High ISO has to be my main problem since I find that the high resolution on my photos is worthless because of the extreme graininess throughout. I will definitely start shooting in RAW and I will also check out that lens! Yeah, again, I had my camera set on program, so I wasn't even paying attention to the shutter. I will watch that from now on. Thank you so much for all of the help!!

@TTMartin, Oh wow, I kind of just skimmed over that software. I will start using that to edit RAW right away! I had never considered changing picture style which I just have on auto now. It looks like I should have it set on lanscape for sure though! I'll keep that lens on my wish list, although I am look for a wide angle right now. If I can get my photos to lose the grain, than I can just crop the photo in post if I need too.

Thanks so much for the help everyone!!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The 75-300mm is a bit weak on contrast.  But you can boost this in software (the EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 STM lens would be a nice upgrade.  But it does need to be the "STM" version.)

Many of us use Adobe Lightroom and some use Photoshop (I find Lightroom to be much faster and it's also designed to manage organize and manage all of your images as well as synchronize adjustment changes across all images shot in the same condition (e.g. if you shot a lot of images in the same location then you'd want all of them to have the same "white balance" setting.)    There's also Photoshop Elements (the entry level version) and full-blown Photoshop CC -- but I find those tools to be more cumbersome to use.

Canon provides an editing/adjustment program called Digital Photo Professional (DPP) and if you haven't already downloaded it, go to the support website for your camera model and you'll see the link to software downloads where you can grab the latest version of DPP 4.  

The first image needs a boost in contrast.   This is because the "dark" areas in the image are more of a middle gray tone and not really very dark... meanwhile the "light" areas in the image are just a little lighter middle gray tone and not really very light.  So imagine you could "stretch" the difference between dark and light areas so that the darks are even darker and the lights are even lighter... this will eliminate that muddy-gray look and the colors look dull (don't touch the colors... just yet).

With a simple editor you could just increase the contrast adjustment and improve the image.  But you get more control over how you increase the contrast if you use a tool such as a "levels" adjustment or a "curves" adjustment.  This is because the basic contrast adjustment just makes darks darker and lights lighter... but a "levels" or "curves" adjustments allows you to adjust the darks and lights independent of each other (you can decide how much darker you'd like the darks... and then choose how much lighter you'd like the light tones.)  You can even stretch each tonal range of the image independent of any other.

As an anaology... years ago a radio might have a basic "tone" adjusment knob.  Nicer stereo systems might have a seperate "bass" and "treble" knob.  And even nicer sound systems yet might have equalizer sliders which lets you adjust each tonal range of sound indepent of the others.    "Contrast" adjustment in photography is a bit like the basic "tone" knob on a radio... but "Leves" and "Curves" adjustments are a bit more like having full equalizer sliders to adjust everything with much more control.

As you fix the contrast you will immedaitely start to notice that the colors seem to be getting a bit of help along the way... the greens wont look so washed out... they'll start to look a bit more vibrant.  This is why I don't adjust color saturation until after I fix the contrast problem.  

As for the baby picture.  Yes, I can see the noise and shooting at ISO 6400 will have that result.  Keep in mind that as a photographer you don't necessarily need to photograph a subject where they stand, sit, lay.... you might be able to move a subject to a location with better lighting.  If you can do that... it should always be your first option (in photoraphy, having good "light" beats having a good lens or a good camera.).

But suppose there's nothing you can do about the lighting situation.  If the subject isn't moving and you have a means to steady the camera (e.g. a tripod) then you can set a slow shutter speed and still keep the ISO low for a better shot.  But this is likely not realistic with a moving child unless the child is sleeping.  If that happens, cranking the ISO is the next best option and while you will have "noise" in the image, you wont have motion blur (you can do something about noise in an image but there isn't much you can do about motion blur unless you want to try to convince people was an intended artistic effect.)

DPP 4 does have a "noise" reduction slider (as does Lightroom and it's pretty good.  Photoshop does... but it's miserable (how the same company managed to write good noise reduction for LIghtroom and miserable noise reduction for Photoshop was a bit of a mystery, but there you have it.  If using Photoshop, I purchased a plug-in called "Noiseware Pro" by Imagenomic which does the best job of fixing noise that I've seen from any tool.)

Anyway... you'll usually notice noise is stronger in shadows and less in highlight areas.  So tools that allow you to selectively apply noise reduction based on tonal values have an advantage.

The other thing about "noise" and "sharpness" is that they're basically opposites.  When you apply noise reduction, the image will usually get softer -- so be careful to apply noise reduction sparingly or things start to look mushy and or skin looks like "plastic" instead of skin in a hurry (not a good look.)  When you apply "sharpening" to an image the software looks for subtle changes in contrast (which might represent an edge) and it boosts or exaggerates that difference.  The trouble with this is that noisey pixels will look like subtle differences in contrast so when you exaggerate those you really amplify the noise.  

As for the video... I'm noticing strong chromatic aberration on the waves -- typically the optical design of the lens is responsible for this and it shows up usally as putting either a red fringe or blue fringe on edges of contrast.  Some types of chromatic aberration can be corrected in software but as this is video, I'm not aware of tools that correct this.    A higher lens is your best remedy for this issue.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements