cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

White photos with external flash problem

alveron1
Contributor
Help. With white photos when external flash. Has to be reseated. Any suggestions. Canon says its fine
9 REPLIES 9

Tara_N
Enthusiast

Hello alveron1!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know exactly what Canon equipment you're using.

Any other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team is standing by, ready to help 24/7 via Email at http://bit.ly/EmailCanon or by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 10 AM and 10 PM ET (7 AM to 7 PM PT).

Thanks and have a great day!

@alveron1 wrote:
Help. With white photos when external flash. Has to be reseated. Any suggestions. Canon says its fine

I don't know what "reseated" means in this context. But you'll get white (i.e., horribly overexposed) photos if a flash set to "TTL" is connected to a camera that uses "E-TTL".

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

alveron1
Contributor
Reply. It is set properly. But if you are walking with the canera and 430speedlute EXII somehow it decides it's loose from camera I think. Then take a photo and is overexposed if you unlock and relics it works again.

alveron1
Contributor
Canon EOS Rebel T4i. Speed lite 430EXII.

We need to verify that you're locking it in correctly AND that the foot on the flash isn't loose.

To attach the flash, the locking lever on the foot of the flash should be in the left-side position (as viewed from back).

Slide the square foot of the flash into the rails on the hot-shoe and push it all the way forward until it stops.

Slide the locking level on the foot of the flash all the way to the right until it (1) stops and (2) the button "clicks".

If at this point you attempt to move the lever back to the left, the lever should be locked and refuse to move unless you press the release button (but don't do that -- just check that it "really is locked")    If it doesn't lock in and "click" then it's not completely attached.

With the flash properly locked into the camera, take your fingers and "gently" attempt to wiggle the flash to see if there is any play/movement.  It should be completely solid and refuse to move.  If it does move then something is likely loose.  The foot on the flash (the square plate) may be loose.

The 430EX II has never had an issue with the foot, but the 580EX II did once have an issue where a number of them were coming loose.  Canon issued a service bulletin for that flash and replaced the foot (it turns out the whole assembly is held on by 4 screws) with a revised design and those flashes never had a problem again.  The 430EX II, however, has been a solid work-horse and has never had a problem like that.

Still... it's possible that something has mangaed to come loose.  

I have come across forum posts where the owner of the flash had not realized they were not pushing the flash completely forward into the rails and/or had not actually moved the lever on the foot over until it locks and clicks -- and THOSE flashes have come loose, but not because of a problem with the camera or flash -- just that the owner hadn't realized they didn't attach it correctly.

Can you please verify both items:

1)  That you are attaching the flash correctly and it does actually click and "lock" into place and...

2)  That once locked, there is no play/wiggle of the flash.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

"Canon EOS Rebel T4i. Speed lite 430EXII."

And you use this for magzine photos?  OK.

Anyhow,  Canon says it is, OK?  I certainly would look else where for the problem before sending it back.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

alveron1
Contributor
I'm sorry but have been using and still do these flashes with several models of this canon. This is the newest one. No issues with others. I again removed it and re-seated it on the camera as always and it clicked into place. But yes it does wiggle in the camera connection area. So it acts as if it is not fitting correctly. That's why I sent both pieces to canon to check. What can I do now? We use these cameras for magazine photos and quick seminars and trade show photos. A great many are unable to be retaken. Ideas???

Once clamped in, if it wiggles or shows any play, then the foot is loose (and this is almost certainly why the flash is having problems.)

If you remove the flash from the camera, flip it over so you can inspect the foot... take your fingers and attempt to wiggle the foot plate... it should aboslutely not budge.  The plate doesn't actually move when you flip the lock lever.  Instead... there's a clamping mechanism that lowers down to the foot to snug it to the camera rails (also a locking pin that lowers down (through the foot) and drops into a hole in your camera hot-shoe.)

If you sent this for service and they returned it (in this wiggling state) then the service tech didn't perform their job correctly and you should escalate.

I know how to disassemble and tighten the foot myself, but if this is a "new" flash, you shouldn't have to do that.  They should repair it (it's a simple job to tighten it down -- not a big deal) or they should agree to replace it.  That's the whole point of having a warranty... this is not supposed to be your problem.  

If this is your newest unit and still under warranty, then I'd escalte.  If not under warranty then I'd probably just tighten it myself.  There are numerous YouTube videos that demonstrate how to snug the plate on a 580EX II (numerous 580EX II units had this problem - hence lots of videos).  You wont find videos for the 430EX II (it didn't have this problem.)  The procedures to snug the foot will be similar and it's relatively easy to perform.  But I would NOT suggest working on it yourself if it's still under warranty -- instead I would escalate with Canon.

Incidentally... even if you do send it to Canon again, watch one of the 580EX II repair videos.  Some of the videos I've seen demonstrate how much wobble they had before/after a repair so you can evaluate how much play you have (vs. how little it should be willing to move if the plate is tight.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

alveron1
Contributor
Since I already paid to have it fixed once I'll send back. Not under warranty now but I already paid. Do will try. It's just not right. Thanks for your help. I'll see what they say and perhaps do.
Announcements