cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

While taking pictures of a full moon I am ending up with a ghost image.

hlk2nmj
Apprentice

Is this because of the filters being in place? Input please. Canon T5i with EF5 zoom 18-135mm. I was using auto function without flash.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Bright objects, and especially bright objects on mostly dark backgronds, can create "ghosting" when you have flat filters attached to the lens.  The flat surface makes a perfect "mirror" and some light reflects off the front of the lens, hits the filter, and reflects back into the lens creating the "ghosted" copy.

Higher quality filters usually have a good anti-reflective coating to reduce the effect, but I find it's better to just remove the filter completely and only use them when they are needed or helpful.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

If by "ghost image" you mean that you see a faint second moon then maybe it is reflection from filters. You can easily and quickly test that by removing filter and repeating the shoot.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks, John. I should have tried that instead of posting the question but it doesn't hurt to ask, right?

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Never hurts to ask. If you can post the image it would help diagnosis.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Deleted bad images. Should have a good moon tonight and will try without filters. I'll let you know how that goes.

Henry

You probably know this, but the full moon is in full sunlight, so you want to spot meter on the moon or try a "Sunny 11" exposure for a start. f/11 to a shutter speed close to 1/ISO. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

The Looney 11 rule is a method of estimating correct exposures without a light meter. For daylight photography, there is a similar rule called the Sunny16 rule.

Using a ISO 100 setting,you will set the aperture to f/11 and the shutter speed to 1/125 second.  Or, you can use any combination of these exposure but must maintain the same EV.  I.E., ISO 200, 1/200, f11 --- ISO 400, 1/500,  f11, etc.

Noted, a135mm lens may not be a long enough focal length.  Depending on your desired out come.  Use manual mode for the settings. Shoot RAW, otherwise set the jpg to daylight.  Use a tripod.  And lastly bracket your exposure, a stop more and a stop less.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Bright objects, and especially bright objects on mostly dark backgronds, can create "ghosting" when you have flat filters attached to the lens.  The flat surface makes a perfect "mirror" and some light reflects off the front of the lens, hits the filter, and reflects back into the lens creating the "ghosted" copy.

Higher quality filters usually have a good anti-reflective coating to reduce the effect, but I find it's better to just remove the filter completely and only use them when they are needed or helpful.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

hlk2nmj
Apprentice

I appreciate all the input on this subject. Simple fix was just removing the filters. Thanks to all the contributors!

Announcements