cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which accessories would you recommend for an enthusiastic hobbyist?

BoricuaBruni
Contributor

Hi!

I have the T6s, and the following lenses:  an 18-55 kit lens, an 18-135 kit lens, a 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 lens, and a 50 mm lens.  Some accessories I've purchased are the MeFoto aluminum roadrip travel tripod/monopod kit, bags for each lens, a 'raincoat' for the camera, and a rapid fire camera strap.  I also have an iphone 6 and an ipad (haven't tried the "wi-fi nfc options" to transfer pictures to my iphone yet, but, if there are any accessories to make the transfer easier, I'm all ears, as I've read it's much easier with an android phone.

I don't have any hoods for my lenses, filters, remote shutter, bubble spirit level, speed lites,...  Which accessories (other than lenses) would you suggest/categorize as a must-have or aspire-to-have, with no specific price point in mind?

Thanks all!

24 REPLIES 24

Thanks TTMartin for your input.  My 18-135 is an STM, so I'll be keeping it along with my 50mm f/1.8.  I'm not in the market at this time for more lenses, as they are pricey and not a necessity for me, although I'm not opposed to a gifted and expensive lens...(i keep a wishlist for my loved ones to use during the holidays).

Hi ebiggs1,

I consider myself a beginner/hobbyist, shoot in manual, have owned a dslr for a few years, and spend the most time with my camera when I'm on vacation, special events, etc.  I don't shoot enough to spend $1000s on a lens, but at some point in the next few years will upgrade some lenses.  My 18-135 is an STM and my 50 mm is f/1.8. 

Thanks.

"My 18-135 is an STM and my 50 mm is f/1.8. "

Sell them and the 18-55 no matter what letters it has.  Then you can put that money towards a real lens. The EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens because you will eventually anyhow.  Might as well have it today. You will quickly outgrow the lenses you currently have.  But this really does depend on whether you want to stay a beginner in a beginner class or move on.  I can't make that decision for you.  But I can tell you what better lenses can do for you.  Lenses are where its at. So what will it be?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"My 18-135 is an STM and my 50 mm is f/1.8. "

Sell them and the 18-55 no matter what letters it has.  Then you can put that money towards a real lens. The EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens because you will eventually anyhow.  Might as well have it today. You will quickly outgrow the lenses you currently have.  But this really does depend on whether you want to stay a beginner in a beginner class or move on.  I can't make that decision for you.  But I can tell you what better lenses can do for you.  Lenses are where its at. So what will it be?

ICYMI ...  from the original post....

"I don't have any hoods for my lenses, filters, remote shutter, bubble spirit level, speed lites,...  Which accessories (other than lenses) would you suggest/categorize as a must-have or aspire-to-have, with no specific price point in mind?"

The OP clearly stated that they are not looking to purchase a lens, just accessories.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"The OP clearly stated that they are not looking to purchase a lens, just accessories."

The OP "clearly" stated that he is a beginner wanting to become better or a hobby enthusiasts. This over rides some of his thoughts if they are not aimed in the right direction.  What he has is beginner quality lenses no matter what letters are printed on them. I am sure you agree with that?

What he has now can be sold to help pay for the lens upgrade.  The f2.8 constant aperture is worth way more than the letters STM.  Plus it is just a better lens all around.  Would you like to go back to an EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens?  See my point, now?

A Rebel T6s and the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens makes a worthy combo that will take the OP a long way.  You know as well as I, if this sticks he will buy a better lens any way.  So why not have it now?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements