cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which accessories would you recommend for an enthusiastic hobbyist?

BoricuaBruni
Contributor

Hi!

I have the T6s, and the following lenses:  an 18-55 kit lens, an 18-135 kit lens, a 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 lens, and a 50 mm lens.  Some accessories I've purchased are the MeFoto aluminum roadrip travel tripod/monopod kit, bags for each lens, a 'raincoat' for the camera, and a rapid fire camera strap.  I also have an iphone 6 and an ipad (haven't tried the "wi-fi nfc options" to transfer pictures to my iphone yet, but, if there are any accessories to make the transfer easier, I'm all ears, as I've read it's much easier with an android phone.

I don't have any hoods for my lenses, filters, remote shutter, bubble spirit level, speed lites,...  Which accessories (other than lenses) would you suggest/categorize as a must-have or aspire-to-have, with no specific price point in mind?

Thanks all!

24 REPLIES 24

@ebiggs1 wrote:

This is what you said....

"...an 18-55 kit lens, an 18-135 kit lens, a 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 lens, and a 50 mm lens..."

First I would sell all of these lenses.

Whether you should sell the lenses you have or not depends on if they are the STM version of the lenses or not.

If they are STM lenses keep them, the only excepting would be if you have both the 18-55 IS STM and the 18-135 IS STM, you could probably sell the 18-55 IS STM.

@TTMartin wrote:

Whether you should sell the lenses you have or not depends on if they are the STM version of the lenses or not.

If they are STM lenses keep them, the only excepting would be if you have both the 18-55 IS STM and the 18-135 IS STM, you could probably sell the 18-55 IS STM.

One correction to add, it that if the EF-S 18-135 IS is either the STM or USM you should not sell it.

"Whether you should sell the lenses you have or not depends on if they are the STM version of the lenses or not."

That is just your opinion as I stated mine.  Yours isn't valid but what else is new?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Whether you should sell the lenses you have or not depends on if they are the STM version of the lenses or not."

That is just your opinion as I stated mine.  Yours isn't valid but what else is new?

Other than you being pompous what makes your opinion more valid?

The EF-S 18-135 IS STM or USM has just as good image quality as the EF-S 17-55 IS f/2.8. I have them both, but, since you obviouly don't go to the-digital-picture.com and compare them. Even with the aperture of the 17-55 IS f/2.8 stopped down to match the EF-S 18-135 IS STM or USM the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS actually is a little softer in the corners. But, the reality is BOTH lenses have superb image quality. 

And as I pointed out in my previous post:

The EF 50mm f/1.8 STM and EF-S 18-135 IS STM is just as effective, more versatile and more cost effective than the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM.

The for portraits the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM is superior in giving shallow depth of field.

For general usage an f/2.8 aperture was much more important when you were pretty much limited to ISO 400 or ISO 800. With today's digital cameras where ISO 3200 is just as usable as ISO 400 from the early age of digital having an f/2.8 aperture becomes much less important. 

Add to that the EF-S 18-135 IS STM is f/3.5 at 18mm, f/4 at 24mm, f/4.5 at 35mm and f/5 at 50mm, the aperture differences between the two lenses are much less pronounced than some might be lead to believe. 

"Other than you being pompous what makes your opinion more valid?"

Ah, how about, I am right?

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

A flash is a nice to have but is getting less useful as cameras get better.

:

You're kidding, right? What do you use to brighten the faces of backlit subjects? A pocket mirror?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Bob from Boston,

"You're kidding, right?"

I am not.  A flash would be way down on my list if I was watching money as this OP likely is.  I have six 580 ex II and don't know how many older flashes on the shelves of my formerly stop bath stained darkroom.  They quietly occupy that shelf space and gather dust for the most part.

I am booked up all ready this year for Senior photos and I bet I don't use a single flash.  I might take a couple silver/white reflectors, though.  If I shoot in the studio I will use real strobes.  Bob from Boston you really need to learn how to use Photoshop!

EB

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

"I don't have any hoods for my lenses, filters, remote shutter, bubble spirit level, speed lites,...  Which accessories (other than lenses) would you suggest/categorize as a must-have or aspire-to-have, with no specific price point in mind?"

What do you like to photograph the most?  Or, think you like the most? 

A hood for both the 18-135mm and the 10-18mm would be a smart add.  I like to use at least a clear protective filter on my expensive glass. 

The flash on the camera will cast shadows with the 18-135mm and 10-18mm lenses, but not the 18-55mm kit lens.  I'd keep the 18-55mm lens around, if you do not have an external flash, yet.

Again, I am going to recommend a good backpack.  Look for one that comes with a rain cover.  They don't sell them at the Big Box stores, either.  Get a backpack with more room than what you need.  I'd say get one that can hold 1-2 camera bodies, and at least 5-7 lenses, or so.  Yeah, that's pretty big.  But, you'll need space for flash units, chargers, lens cleaning kit, widgets, and maybe even future lenses.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Whether you should sell the lenses you have or not depends on if they are the STM..."

A consideration but not the important one.  The f2.8 'constant' aperture is way more better than STM.

So, are you "an enthusiastic hobbyist" or simply a beginner?  Because two of your lenses (18-55 kit lens, an 18-135 kit lens) are beginner category.  Possibly the "50mm", also, if it is one of the f1.8 versions. IMHO, of course, as always.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Whether you should sell the lenses you have or not depends on if they are the STM..."

A consideration but not the important one.  The f2.8 'constant' aperture is way more better than STM.

So, are you "an enthusiastic hobbyist" or simply a beginner?  Because two of your lenses (18-55 kit lens, an 18-135 kit lens) are beginner category.  Possibly the "50mm", also, if it is one of the f1.8 versions. IMHO, of course, as always.

The EF 50mm f/1.8 STM and EF-S 18-135 IS STM is just as effective, more versatile and more cost effective than the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM.

The for portraits the EF 50mm f/1.8 is superior in giving shallow depth of field.

For general usage an f/2.8 aperture was much more important when you were pretty much limited to ISO 400 or ISO 800. With today's digital cameras where ISO 3200 is just as usable as ISO 400 from the early age of digital having an f/2.8 aperture becomes much less important. 

Add to that the EF-S 18-135 IS STM is f/3.5 at 18mm, f/4 at 24mm, f/4.5 at 35mm and f/5 at 50mm, the aperture differences between the two lenses are much less pronounced than some might be lead to believe. 

Announcements