cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which accessories would you recommend for an enthusiastic hobbyist?

BoricuaBruni
Contributor

Hi!

I have the T6s, and the following lenses:  an 18-55 kit lens, an 18-135 kit lens, a 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 lens, and a 50 mm lens.  Some accessories I've purchased are the MeFoto aluminum roadrip travel tripod/monopod kit, bags for each lens, a 'raincoat' for the camera, and a rapid fire camera strap.  I also have an iphone 6 and an ipad (haven't tried the "wi-fi nfc options" to transfer pictures to my iphone yet, but, if there are any accessories to make the transfer easier, I'm all ears, as I've read it's much easier with an android phone.

I don't have any hoods for my lenses, filters, remote shutter, bubble spirit level, speed lites,...  Which accessories (other than lenses) would you suggest/categorize as a must-have or aspire-to-have, with no specific price point in mind?

Thanks all!

24 REPLIES 24

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@BoricuaBruni wrote:

Hi!

I have the T6s, and the following lenses:  an 18-55 kit lens, an 18-135 kit lens, a 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 lens, and a 50 mm lens.  Some accessories I've purchased are the MeFoto aluminum roadrip travel tripod/monopod kit, bags for each lens, a 'raincoat' for the camera, and a rapid fire camera strap.  I also have an iphone 6 and an ipad (haven't tried the "wi-fi nfc options" to transfer pictures to my iphone yet, but, if there are any accessories to make the transfer easier, I'm all ears, as I've read it's much easier with an android phone.

I don't have any hoods for my lenses, filters, remote shutter, bubble spirit level, speed lites,...  Which accessories (other than lenses) would you suggest/categorize as a must-have or aspire-to-have, with no specific price point in mind?

Thanks all!

Canon 430EX III RT flash!

Otherwise, just get out and shoot, and then you'll learn what you need, instead of having to ask.

Thanks for the recommendation. Will be adding it to my wishlist.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Backpack.  Buy one that has 50% more room than what you need.   I call that my kit.  I have a smaller one for travel, my tote.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle,

Yes, a backpack is my back's best friend, unfortunately, I've encountered many museums in Europe require you to 'check' your backpack.   And handing it over and watching it placed in a cubby, ala kindergarten-style, is stressful.  So, I've yet to find a "perfect" bag for my solo travel needs.

@BoricuaBruni wrote:

Waddizzle,

Yes, a backpack is my back's best friend, unfortunately, I've encountered many museums in Europe require you to 'check' your backpack.   And handing it over and watching it placed in a cubby, ala kindergarten-style, is stressful.  So, I've yet to find a "perfect" bag for my solo travel needs.

Yes, that's why I called the big one "my kit", and then also suggested a smaller one for travel, my tote.

[EDIT] When I want to travel "ultra-light" I use a Toploader Pro 75 AW II Holster Bag from Lowepro.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for the bag recommendation.  Will check it out.

ScottyP
Authority

Get some microfiber cloths in a sealable baggie to wipe lenses with instead of your shirt.

Book: Understanding Exposure by Bryan Petersen. 

A Rocket Blower or similar generic squeeze bulb blower to blast dust off the sensor.  Mine has a lens dust brush built in. 

Backpack or sling bag. 

22" collapsible reflector, silver one side and white on the other. Perfect size to actually fit in your bag.  

Two EX 430 RT flashes so you can shoot off camera flash.  Or 3rd party RT flash like Yongnuo 600 RT if the price difference makes the difference in your budget that lets you get two instead of just one.   

If you get 2 flashes pick up a cheap Chinese light stand.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Scott,

Woohoo, I have the first 4 items you mentioned.  Several people are suggesting the flash, so it'll definitely make it's way into my "kit" along with the reflector and light stand.  Thanks!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

This is what you said....

"...an 18-55 kit lens, an 18-135 kit lens, a 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 lens, and a 50 mm lens..."

First I would sell all of these lenses.  Keep the 10-18mil and buy the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.  If memory serves me correctly it does not come with a hood so buy one for it. 

Forget filters and learn one of the better post editors like PSE.  Filters are generally obsolete.

Second lens purchase might be one of the 70-200mm f2.8 out there.

The notion of a good bag, larger than you currently need is a great idea.  Also a back pack type bag is a good idea.

A flash is a nice to have but is getting less useful as cameras get better.

"...remote shutter, bubble spirit level..."  Mostly just gimmicks,  But at best specific use items. Not general.

We have ...

Rebel T6s

EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens

EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Lens

Your choice of 70-200mm f2.8

Hoods for all lenses

MeFOTO RoadTrip Aluminum Travel Tripod Kit

Your choice of backpack bag

iphone/ipad

Black Rapid strap

Photoshop or Photoshop Elements or other good post editor  <---- the best accessory you can have or add to your kit.

Pretty good start, I'd say.  Now go out an learn how to use it all. Smiley Very Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements