cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to find firmware for EOS 600D?

easypeez
Contributor

Hi,

I'd appreciate any help and advice with fixing my EOS 600D.

The memory card sensor seems to be faulty - I am getting a constant message telling me that the card's write protect switch is locked. I've tried formatting and using various cards to no avail so am presuming the SD memory card board needs adjusting/replacing.

I've tried the toothpick method and the tape method as suggested on various forums/videos without success. Given all the suggested fixes and forum complaints out there it seems the SD card reader lock switch fault is a not uncommon problem. As such is it unreasonable to expect that Canon might offer a firmware fix for this, to instruct the camera to overide/ignore the SD card reader lock switch?

I've searched for official and unofficial firmware without any joy but maybe someone on here knows of places to look that I don't?

If I can't find anything then I guess it's soldering iron time... 😞

Thanks,

Andy

5 REPLIES 5

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

You can get the latest firmware here:  T3i Drivers & Downloads

But... firmware can't repair a hardware issue, and there is no firmware "fix" to overide/ignore the SD card reader lock switch.

Have you tried shooting "Tethered" using the EOS Utility?  At least then you can use the camera without a memory card. 

Mike Sowsun

Thanks for the confirmation re: the firmware, Mike. 

Re this - Have you tried shooting "Tethered" using the EOS Utility?  At least then you can use the camera without a memory card. 

Apologies, but I don't know what that means or how to do it. Would it involve using a smartphone? If so I don't have one.

Cheers.

"EOS Utility" is a program that runs on your comuter and connects to your camera using USB connection. 

It allows full remote control of your camera, and downloads photos taken directly to your computer hard drive.  

More info here: About EOS Utility

EOS Utility is an application that brings together functions to communicate with the camera. These functions include downloading and displaying images, remote shooting, and camera control for each setting. For download instructions follow the steps below. Have your camera's Serial Number ready before you begin.

Mike Sowsun

"Apologies, but I don't know what that means or how to do it."

It is really not a good solution.  It requires you to have a computer or like device. Hardy mobile be any stretch but I do use tethering a lot when I do studio shoots. 

You need to replace the camera or seek out a repair shop. FW will not help.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Right....thanks for clarifying.

There's no way it's practical for me to lug a laptop out everytime I go on a country walk or some such, so tethering is out.

Soldering iron or back to Canon it is, then.

Announcements