cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When using AI Servo and Continuous Shutter - can Exposure change?

PajamaGuy
Enthusiast

When capturing a sequence, like a receiver running a 50 yard return, if you capture the whole thing with a single press-and-hold the shutter button - is there any setting/function that will cause the exposure to change during the sequence.

Like, suppose you shoot the player running out of the tunnel into the bright sun and you're shooting continuous shutter - NOT VIDEO - is there a way to get the camera to track exposure in a way similar to tracking AF?  (Other than lifting your finger off the shutter button?)  And following that thought, if you were not using  BBF, if you come back from full-press to half-press, would AF continue and the exposure be reset?

Last one (for now):  On the higher-end cameras, can you set the FPS to speeds less than its maximum?  Like on the 7d MKII, do you have to shoot at 10 or can you restrict it to 5 fps?

Thanks.

PJ
(Grampy)

"Photography is a money-sucking black hole, and I'm approaching the event horizon"
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@PajamaGuy wrote:

@Thanks...and Yes, but my question is since the exposure is computed when the shutter button is fully depressed, if you hold the button down for let's say 15 exposures (3 seconds @ 5 fps), does the exposure change when (i.e.) exposure #1 is heavy shade and  #10 is bright sunlight?  Or, do you have to lift and re-depress shutter to update exposure?

As long as you are in AIServo the exposure is continuously updated. (unless you press the exposure lock button).

This article explains hjow to lock exposure like you think the camera does all the time.

Canon DLC: Using Auto Exposure (AE) Lock

To not lock exposure, just don't do the things described in the article.

Sorry this is a backwards way of explaining it, but, I couldn't find an article that explains it forwards.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

If you use P/Tv/Av mode, AI servo, Evaluative metering, and Auto AF point selection - 

The camera will start with the center AF point (or selected starting point on some cameras). If the subject moves off the starting AF point the camera will handoff to other AF points and continue tracking the subject.

Metering will be weighted to the active AF point at the time photo is taken.

Note: Auto AF point selection works differently in 'One Shot' mode and AIServo. In 'One Shot' it will focus on the closest thing with adequate contrast that falls under any of the active AF points. In AIServo ti behaves as described above.

Yes, you can use a lower frame rate on the 7D Mk II.

Canon Digital Learning Center video on Evaluative Metering

Thanks...and Yes, but my question is since the exposure is computed when the shutter button is fully depressed, if you hold the button down for let's say 15 exposures (3 seconds @ 5 fps), does the exposure change when (i.e.) exposure #1 is heavy shade and  #10 is bright sunlight?  Or, do you have to lift and re-depress shutter to update exposure?

PJ
(Grampy)

"Photography is a money-sucking black hole, and I'm approaching the event horizon"

@PajamaGuy wrote:

@Thanks...and Yes, but my question is since the exposure is computed when the shutter button is fully depressed, if you hold the button down for let's say 15 exposures (3 seconds @ 5 fps), does the exposure change when (i.e.) exposure #1 is heavy shade and  #10 is bright sunlight?  Or, do you have to lift and re-depress shutter to update exposure?

As long as you are in AIServo the exposure is continuously updated. (unless you press the exposure lock button).

This article explains hjow to lock exposure like you think the camera does all the time.

Canon DLC: Using Auto Exposure (AE) Lock

To not lock exposure, just don't do the things described in the article.

Sorry this is a backwards way of explaining it, but, I couldn't find an article that explains it forwards.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I would, and do, use Av mode, one shot, evaluative metering, and center AF point only.  I shoot with that combo a lot.

Set the lens aperutre to what is correct for the conditions to manitain a reasonable shutter.  For BIF on a daylighted situation, I use f8.  At a night time football game you will need a more open, smaller number, aperture most likely.  Higher ISO, larger number, too.

The best thing is to bracket and try different things instead of trying one and hoping for the best.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements