cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When taking pictures with the shutter the pictures don't save. Why?

turkish1230
Apprentice

However, when taking pictures via the touch screen, they save automatically and everything is well. So why don't the pics stay on my camera if I use the shutter button?...This has been going for a couple of weeks now. Pretty frustrating. thanks for the help!

3 REPLIES 3

Danny

Hi, turkish1230!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know exactly which model of Canon camera you're using. That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team is standing by, ready to help 24/7 via Email at http://bit.ly/EmailCanon or by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 8 AM and 12 AM ET (5 AM to 9 PM PT) and Saturdays between 10 AM and 8 PM ET (7 AM to 5 PM PT).

Thanks and have a great day!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite
I'm wondering if you have mirror lock-up enabled. If so, you have to press the shutter button twice to take each exposure.

The idea behind mirror lock-up is that the swing of the mirror could technically set off a tiny vibration of the camera on a tripod and vibration could actually show up in the exposure. Mirror lock-up mode puts the camera into a mode where the first time you press the shutter button, the mirror swings up (and the sound you hear of a shutter click is REALLY just the sound of the mirror swinging up to clear the image path -- the shutter has not technically opened yet nor has the camera taken an exposure. The SECOND time you press the shutter button (in this mode, btw, the idea is that you would actually use a remote shutter release so you don't have to touch the button -- inducing some camera movement) the shutter actually does open and the camera takes the exposure... and it also lowers the mirror.

If you use "live view" mode (taking a photo with the LCD), the mirror has to stay up all the time anyway... so there's no mirror lock-up step involved.

You can test the camera using the viewfinder to see if it's in this mode. Look through the camera and press the shutter button fully and release it. You should hear the camera click and the viewfinder should become blocked (by the mirror). Press the shutter button (full press) a second time and you should hear the quieter click of the true shutter and the mirror should flip down.

Assuming your camera is in mirror lock-up mode, you just need to disable it to get back to normal. How you disable the mode depends on which camera model you have. If someone else used your camera and has been tinkering with settings (i.e. you don't think you actually enabled this) you may just want to reset all camera settings back to factory defaults.
Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

I actually JUST figured it out last night myself. And yep you are correct. I'm gonna go head and restore my settings to default. Thank you for your input. It's a Cannon rebel s1 or SL or something like that by the way. Thanks!!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements