cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What next? I have had a 450D for the past few years. I would like some recommendations?

Andrewadrian
Apprentice

I feel i am ready to progress to a better camera body. I have had a 450D for about 5 years now. I shoot mainly protraits and landscapes. I do like to dabble in some photojournalism on occasion. It seems the 7D MarkII would be a good choice based on online reviews but I would like to know what the Canon community think? Any advice regarding lenses as well would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Google "7D Mar4k II vs 80D" . There is a good "resource" site. Look at the advantages and see if they will fill a void in your shooting needs. Are they worth the cost dif

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

"Especially as that body allows me to use my older EFS lenses ..."

So will the 7D Mk II as any of the other cameras mentioned except the 6D.  Any of the xxD or new Rebels is going to be a upgrade that should be easily noticeable quickly by anyone.  The 7D Mk II however is a significant upgrade over a XSi.

The 7D Mk II is a pro level DSLR, the others mentioned, even the 6D, are not.

Putting the 7D Mk II in a specific category niche such a, it can only shoot fast action sports is pure nonsense.  Smiley Frustrated

In the end though the choice is yours.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks ebiggs1, you make some great points. I didn't realise the 7D also took both lenses. Whilst I agree it is a significant upgrade, I'm not convinced it is great value for money based on my current photographic experience. Also, another contributor made a good point about spending more on better lenses at this stage than a relatively expensive body which leaves me having to work with very my current basic lenses. Hopefully buying a more reasonably priced body will enable me to buy a decent lens or two. My next challenge is which lens to begin with.

Such a tough decision. Thanks everyone for your comments.

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Especially as that body allows me to use my older EFS lenses ..."

So will the 7D Mk II as any of the other cameras mentioned except the 6D.  Any of the xxD or new Rebels is going to be a upgrade that should be easily noticeable quickly by anyone.  The 7D Mk II however is a significant upgrade over a XSi.

The 7D Mk II is a pro level DSLR, the others mentioned, even the 6D, are not.

Putting the 7D Mk II in a specific category niche such a, it can only shoot fast action sports is pure nonsense.  Smiley Frustrated

In the end though the choice is yours.

I never said it can only shoot fast action and sports. I only said that the things you pay extra for on a 7d2 are not things the OP seems to need.  

He could get a great AF system (the one from the 7d1 actually) in the T6s or the 80d and a higher MP sensor as well, and other nice new features, and save money.  Saved money could buy real image quality gains in the form of lenses.  On the contrary not leaving any budget for any upgraded lenses (HYPOTHETICALLY because I don't pretend to know OP's budget) could lead to a waste of a very expensive pro 7d2 if it had to be used with the decidedly non-pro kit lenses. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

"I never said it can only shoot fast action and sports. I only said that the things you pay extra for on a 7d2 are not things the OP seems to need."

I know you didn't Scotty.  Didn't mean to direct that towards you in particularly.  But there are a lot of 'reviewers' out there that try to promote that thought.  One problem with reading and putting stock in some of those reviews.

It is a balancing act to decide which to do. Better camera or better lenses? 

Going from a Rebel XSi we all think a more current up to date camera is a good thing.  Just how far and how much gooder?

Certainly, the 7D Mk II is a long term upgrade.  Another Rebel may just be a stop gap and a more professional camera will be sought after a little later on.

Do I just get better lenses and use what I have until I can buy a better camera?  That would probably be my first choice if I were in his shoes.  As I, personally, would not buy just another consumer or prosummer DSLR.

I might suggest the OP go to a store and handle a new Rebel and xxD and then a 7D Mk II.  That should be all it takes to explain why I recommend going with the 7D Mk II.

These questions can only be determined by the OP.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

For sure always a trade off to balance. 

In checking specs I was surprised to see the 80d has 45 af points.  That's more than twice the 19 AF points 7d1 had, and until 7d2 came out just recently the 19 point af point 7d1 system was considered to be Canon's leading crop sports system.  How time flies. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
Announcements