cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What lens to buy for my EOS 1300D?

Robin4321
Contributor

Hi everyone,

I'm making my own researches but I'm still new at photography and I want to make sure I don't miss things to choose my new lens. My budget for this lens is about 400€ ($550-600).

I'm thinking of buying a Canon EF 50 mm f/1.4 USM lens as I would like a lens to replace my EF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 III.

I would like to do landscape/street/portrayal pictures with it (and even a bit of macro if possible).
Do you think it's a good choice? Is my EOS 1300D good enough for that lens?

29 REPLIES 29

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If you are interested in landscapes, then I would suggest this package.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/portrait-and-travel-two-lens-kit

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

While not a super wide angle on the APS-C, and a little out of your budget, the EF-S 18-135 STM is a good all around lens.

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@Robin4321 wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm making my own researches but I'm still new at photography and I want to make sure I don't miss things to choose my new lens. My budget for this lens is about 400€ ($550-600).

I'm thinking of buying a Canon EF 50 mm f/1.4 USM lens as I would like a lens to replace my EF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 III.

I would like to do landscape/street/portrayal pictures with it (and even a bit of macro if possible).
Do you think it's a good choice? Is my EOS 1300D good enough for that lens?

The EF 50mm f/1.4 is a waste of money. The EF 50mm f/1.8 STM is the superior choice.

Your 1300D has an 18 megapixel APS-C sensor that has been the staple of Canon APS-C cameras for many models. It has more than adequate image quality for any of Canon's lenses. What the 1300D lacks is robust build quality for large lenses, and features like a more advanced AF system and higher frame rates for sports and wildlife photography. None of those are needed for your stated needs. 

Ok thank you guys.
I'm still open to more responses but I think I'll go for the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM like TTMartin said. It's much cheaper and it seems good (and a friend of mine told me to take that one as well). The only thing is that I would like to do some macro as well and I don't know if this lens will be good at it since it can't focus if I go closer than 35cm from the subject.

I was also thinking maybe it would be good for me to get a lens that has a stabilizer since I don't bring my tripod around really often.

What do you guys think about that? Is it worth to pay the price for it?

Yes. IS is absolutely worth it, with the possible exception of really wide lenses - less than 20mm on an APS-C.

@Robin4321 wrote:

Ok thank you guys.
I'm still open to more responses but I think I'll go for the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM like TTMartin said. It's much cheaper and it seems good (and a friend of mine told me to take that one as well).

I was also thinking maybe it would be good for me to get a lens that has a stabilizer since I don't bring my tripod around really often.

What do you guys think about that? Is it worth to pay the price for it?

The package that I posted includes the EF 50m f/1.8 STM lens, plus an ultra wide angle,, 10-18mm, for landscapes.

Waddizzle -> "The package that I posted includes the EF 50m f/1.8 STM lens, plus an ultra wide angle,, 10-18mm, for landscapes."

Yes, I saw it, I might take it as well if I find it in France (I'm not from USA :p)

But is the EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM lens gonna be better than my EF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 III in term of quality (beside the fact that it'll take wider pictures)? Because if I want to buy another lens it's mostly to get better pictures in term of quality not because I want to have the exact good lens of each type of picture. I don't take so many landscape pictures so I don't mind if it's not the perfect lens for it in term of widness.

@Robin4321 wrote:

Waddizzle -> "The package that I posted includes the EF 50m f/1.8 STM lens, plus an ultra wide angle,, 10-18mm, for landscapes."

Yes, I saw it, I might take it as well if I find it in France (I'm not from USA :p)

I would hope that Canon has an online store for the European Union.  If you are interested in landscapes, then I would lean more towards the ultra wide angle lens, than the 50mm, although you can make great panorama shots with the 50mm and the camera turned to portrait mode.

If you like landscapes, then a strong and sturdy tripod is a must have.  I would say the same for "Clear" lens filters to protect your lenses' front elements.  I have found that the B+W Nano Clear line of filters to be very good.

Robin,

The truth is a 50mm lens is a limited use lens on a Rebel.  It is fine for portraits but I think you will find you don't use it for much of anything else. Of course it does depend on what you photograph.  Any prime is going to have limited value.

If you want to step into a truly higher quality lens that might be more useful give the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens for Canon a look.  Ok, it does blow the budget I know!  In the same blow the budget price range is the fantastic Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.  Both of these are fast, constant aperture zooms that will be of greater use. While neither is a true macro close focus is 28 cm and 36 cm. Not bad !

Either of these lenses moves you into a different level of lens.  There is a definite improvement in build quality and IQ.  And their cost is a result of that. They will stick with you as you go to a better Rebel or xxD some day. If you need to save a bit longer to do it, I think it well worth it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements