cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What lens to buy for my EOS 1300D?

Robin4321
Contributor

Hi everyone,

I'm making my own researches but I'm still new at photography and I want to make sure I don't miss things to choose my new lens. My budget for this lens is about 400€ ($550-600).

I'm thinking of buying a Canon EF 50 mm f/1.4 USM lens as I would like a lens to replace my EF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 III.

I would like to do landscape/street/portrayal pictures with it (and even a bit of macro if possible).
Do you think it's a good choice? Is my EOS 1300D good enough for that lens?

29 REPLIES 29

Be nice, gentlemen! 

B from B,

"Says the man who has repeatedly claimed that all good pictures are the result of good post-processing."

Touché, Robert.  Ya got me on that point.  My statement needs more clarity slider I believe.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA

My favorite saying for the class was, "Photography is half camera/lens, half you  and half post editing.  Not necessarily in that order.

Smiley Very Happy

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA

My favorite saying for the class was, "Photography is half camera/lens, half you  and half post editing.  Not necessarily in that order.

Smiley Very Happy

I guess that's reasonably accurate.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thanx !

EB

@Robin4321 wrote:

ebiggs1 -> "The truth is a 50mm lens is a limited use lens on a Rebel."

What's a "Rebel"?

Waddizle -> "The package that I posted includes the EF 50m f/1.8 STM lens, plus an ultra wide angle,, 10-18mm, for landscapes."

I know but the lens for the landscape is only f/4.5-5.6 and the problem I had with the pictures of landscapes with my EF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 III seemed to be partly coming from the low aperture opening. What do you think?

I'm not Ernie or Waddizzle, but I may be the first one up this morning, and I think I know the answers.

"Rebel" is the term Canon uses in the USA for DSLRs that they identify by three- or four-digit model numbers in most of the rest of the world. I guess it's a reference to our supposedly rebellious nature, but I don't think anybody knows whether it's intended to be complimentary or pejorative. Rebels are "crop frame" cameras, so a 50mm lens is a mild telephoto, at the high end of the customary "walkaround" lens range of about 17 to 55 mm.

With landscapes, the best way to avoid wide apertures (I assume that's what you meant by "low") or deal with slow shutter speeds is to use a tripod. Then you can use Av mode with a reasonable aperture, and you don't really care if the shutter speed is low.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@Robin4321 wrote:

ebiggs1 -> "The truth is a 50mm lens is a limited use lens on a Rebel."

What's a "Rebel"?

Waddizle -> "The package that I posted includes the EF 50m f/1.8 STM lens, plus an ultra wide angle,, 10-18mm, for landscapes."

I know but the lens for the landscape is only f/4.5-5.6 and the problem I had with the pictures of landscapes with my EF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 III seemed to be partly coming from the low aperture opening. What do you think?

The 1300D (called Rebel T6 in the US) is nearly identical to my 1200D (called Rebel T5 in the US).  The only difference that I know about is the 1300D adds a limited built-in Wi-Fi capability.  They seem to use the same image sensor, and have identical specs and features.

You will get your best results shooting landscapes with aperture set at f/6.3 to f/11.  As noted, the sweet spot for most lenses is around f/8.  The narrow aperture gives you greater Depth Of Field, getting more foreground and background in focus.  A wider aperture will give you a smaller DOF, which will either blur the background or the foreground, depending upon where you focus.

I use my T5 only at ISO 100, on bright sunny days.  For me, too much noise begins to creep into the images by ISO 400.  I use the T5 mostly for landscapes, and I shoot them at f/6.3 to f/8, depending upon available light to keep shutter speed at least 1/250.

IMG_2015_09_190383.WEB.jpg

I used the EF-S 10-22mm, but the EF-S 10-18mm is capable of similar shots.  Your camera really shines at ISO 100.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"... the problem I had with the pictures of landscapes with my EF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 III seemed to be partly coming from the low aperture opening. What do you think?"

I think you need to stop paying attention to pixel peepers.  Most of what they tell you and advise you does not have much to do with real world photography.  All lens aberrations, such as diffraction, have to be enlarged to a point to become a problem.  It was not your problem!

EB

"If you are interested in landscapes, then I would suggest this package.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/portrait-and-travel-two-lens-kit"

I have no problem with you buying this package.  I think you will find you use the 50mil very little but experience is the best teacher.  Lord knows I have several, I mean many, lenses I use very little.  This package is a good buy price wise.  And, if you are truly in to photography it will not likely be your last one!

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"If you are interested in landscapes, then I would suggest this package.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/portrait-and-travel-two-lens-kit"

I have no problem with you buying this package.  I think you will find you use the 50mil very little but experience is the best teacher.  Lord knows I have several, I mean many, lenses I use very little.  This package is a good buy price wise.  And, if you are truly in to photography it will not likely be your last one!

Excellent suggestion, but the OP lives in France, I think she said.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements