cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What lens to buy for my EOS 1300D?

Robin4321
Contributor

Hi everyone,

I'm making my own researches but I'm still new at photography and I want to make sure I don't miss things to choose my new lens. My budget for this lens is about 400€ ($550-600).

I'm thinking of buying a Canon EF 50 mm f/1.4 USM lens as I would like a lens to replace my EF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 III.

I would like to do landscape/street/portrayal pictures with it (and even a bit of macro if possible).
Do you think it's a good choice? Is my EOS 1300D good enough for that lens?

29 REPLIES 29

ebiggs1 -> "The truth is a 50mm lens is a limited use lens on a Rebel."

What's a "Rebel"?

Waddizle -> "The package that I posted includes the EF 50m f/1.8 STM lens, plus an ultra wide angle,, 10-18mm, for landscapes."

I know but the lens for the landscape is only f/4.5-5.6 and the problem I had with the pictures of landscapes with my EF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 III seemed to be partly coming from the low aperture opening. What do you think?

@Robin4321 wrote:

I know but the lens for the landscape is only f/4.5-5.6 and the problem I had with the pictures of landscapes with my EF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 III seemed to be partly coming from the low aperture opening. What do you think?

For landscapes you'll want a large depth of field, so you'll want to stop that lens down to f/8 anyway. That lens has very good image for an ultra-wide angle lens.

TTMartin -> "For landscapes you'll want a large depth of field, so you'll want to stop that lens down to f/8 anyway."

That's actually something I didn't think about, maybe I got some blurness because of the aperture that was too wide? (if I keep it like 5 or 6 something it can get blur?)

RobertTheFat -> Thanks for the explanation 😄

Waddizzle -> "Excellent suggestion, but the OP lives in France, I think she said."

I'm actually a he ahah, in France Robin is a guy name, I know it's not in america 😉

Quote,

"All lens aberrations, such as diffraction, have to be enlarged to a point to become a problem.  It was not your problem!"

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Quote,

"All lens aberrations, such as diffraction, have to be enlarged to a point to become a problem.  It was not your problem!"

Repeating wrong information over and over doesn't make it right. 

First diffraction isn't a 'lens aberration' it is a physical property of light that occurs even in a theoretically 'perfect' lens.

Second the loss of sharpness due to diffraction doesn't require enlargement to be seen. 

"Repeating wrong information over and over doesn't make it right. "

You are correct,s ir, so please stop it.  You help no one doing it.  We agree.

"First diffraction isn't a 'lens aberration' it is a physical property of light that occurs even in a theoretically 'perfect' lens."

Play on words as it falls in the same category.

"Second the loss of sharpness due to diffraction doesn't require enlargement to be seen."

Right ! Keep believing that. I give you my permission.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Right ! Keep believing that. I give you my permission.

Perhaps you should write Canon and give them permission too. I'm sure they care more about your permission than I do.

John Paul Caponigro's "Testing for the Ideal Lens Aperture"

"I'm sure they care more about your permission than I do."

Actually I don't think they do.  They don't show nearly the fascination with me as you do.  Not to say I am not humbled by it but perhaps you should open up your world a bit.

EB

I will give you a little tip.  You see when all you do is read articles and reviews by other people you don't get real world experience.  Oh sure you learn some catchy jargon to impress folks with.  But you just don't understand how things really work.  You get the notion, "Oh man I can't so that or the worst will come.", or "I have to it this way to get my shot or else."

So the tip is, do spend more time with the camera and less time in front of the computer.  So get outside and shoot some pictures.

BTW, you did do a nice job learning LR.  So, I guess some book learning is good. Smiley Happy  Have a great day in the outdoors.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

So the tip is, do spend more time with the camera and less time in front of the computer.  ...

Says the man who has repeatedly claimed that all good pictures are the result of good post-processing.  Smiley Embarassed

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements