cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the way to check the shutter count on a T7i?

gjelkov
Apprentice

What is the way to check the shutter count on a T7i?

10 REPLIES 10

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Send it in to Canon, and let them check it for you.  

Are you planning to buy or sell a used T7i?  Shutter count is not as meaningful as some people might believe.  A shutter is going to fail whenever it gets good and ready.  The estimated lifetime for a shutter is not a hard and fast rule.  It is an estimate, no more, no less.  

I would be far more concerned about other factors in a used camera than the shutter count.  

Is the image sensor damaged?  Is the AF sensor damaged?  Is the metering sensor damaged?  What is the condition of the body.  Do the rubber covers on the USB ports cover up them up and stay put?  Do the battery and memory card slot doors close properly?  Is the tripod thread stripped?  Does the internal flash work?  Does the flash shoe work?  ETC.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"What is the way to check the shutter count on a T7i?"

The only way to get an accurate count is to send it to Canon.  Why?  Because with the newer cameras there are two shutter counts and even cameras that store shutter clicks may not accurately count video and Liveview use.  A half hour video may be counted as one of two clicks but as you imagine that is more use than two clicks. There are on-line apps that attempt to and may come close to or be spot on. 

I agree you don't want to buy a used Rebel with a ton of clicks.  The more clicks, the greater chance you will experience a failure. If you are looking at a used T7i and it has a lot of clicks, I would prefer you check out something like the reburb store. It will have a warranty and although possibly cost a bit more to start, it just might be cheaper in the long run. Common sense tells you the more use something gets the more likely it will need service. Rebels generally have a 150k shutter.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

There are various 3rd party programs that can give you the shutter count of your camera. Most will charge you a small fee of about $5.

I have used eosmsg.com to check my 80D and it says that it also supports the T7i.

eosmsg gives 2 counts.  “ShotCount” and “MirrorCount”.

700C75DD-6904-4227-A045-8BFC74488C1B.jpeg

C0D55EB2-481F-45CD-AAA8-F65D874B1F4A.jpeg

Mike Sowsun

Thank you,
Tried eosmsg but doesn’t work for mine...
That’s why came here...

"That’s why came here..."

And, despite what you hear or read, Canon is the only way to get the true accurate count. For whatever there are on certain models of cameras they make it difficult to obtain that count or like stated above the mirror up count. Sorta like their not revealing how the Raw file format works.

To conclude the only accurate shutter count on Canon digital cameras is from the service centers.

EB

Thank you

jmuire
Apprentice

I tried in vain to get this count wirelessly, I could never get one site to talk to my camera, I even had my two IT geeks search and try, they were unsuccessful as well. Every site asks you to download this or that, I am very cautious about downloading anything these days. 

However, I did find a Youtube video that said you can get the count using the USB cable that came with your T7i camera, and this connector below,

SD Card Reader for iPhone, USB Camera Adapter 4 in 1 USB Female OTG Adapter Compatible SD/TF Card, 

You get the app Shuttercount, open it, plug this cable into your phone, then the USB cable into this cable and attach your camera and turn it on. The Model, ser#, Owners name, Shutter Count (4425), and Shutter Wear, mine was 4%. 

So far this is the best way I have found, yes I stressed finding out what it was, but I just wanted to know. I do agree, most cameras will fail when they are good and ready, but knowing this just made me feel better about my camera. I hope this helps someone's peace of mind as it did for me.  

and the Shuttercount App for iPhone, I do believe there is an app for Android as well.   

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...but knowing this just made me feel better about my camera."

But you don't know for sure if it is accurate or not. However, if it makes you all happy ... great. 😊

EB
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements