cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What external mic will work well with T7i?

raydunakin
Contributor

Can someone please recommend a good external microphone that will work with my Rebel EOS T7i? I have a Rode Videomic GO that I was hoping would work, but when it's plugged into the camera, my videos are silent.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

@raydunakinwrote:

Can someone please recommend a good external microphone that will work with my Rebel EOS T7i? I have a Rode Videomic GO that I was hoping would work, but when it's plugged into the camera, my videos are silent.

A Rode VideoMic "Go" doesn't have a battery... it's not a "powered" microphone.  You would likely need to crank up the camera's gain considerably and that will result in a lot of "hiss" (noise).

A Rode VideoMic that is powered (usually by battery but they do have a few that can be powered other ways) and you should try to set the gain in the mic itself (minimize the gain in the camera) to reduce hiss.  

I think the "Go" is the cheapest and possibly the only non-powered mic in the VideoMic series.  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

Does your built-in mic work?  Make sure your Sound Recording is not set to "Disable"

The Rode Videomic GO should work with the T7i. All Canon DSLR's, with microphone jacks, can supply 2.5v plug-in power to work with the Rode Videomic GO.

I would also contact Rode Customer Support to see if they have any information for you. There might be a problem with your Microphone. 

Here is a  video showing the Rode Videomic GO working with the T7i 

T7i.jpg

Mike Sowsun

I contacted Rode, they could not confirm that the T7i has a powered microphone port.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

@raydunakinwrote:

A Rode VideoMic "Go" doesn't have a battery... it's not a "powered" microphone.  You would likely need to crank up the camera's gain considerably and that will result in a lot of "hiss" (noise).

A Rode VideoMic that is powered (usually by battery but they do have a few that can be powered other ways) and you should try to set the gain in the mic itself (minimize the gain in the camera) to reduce hiss.  

I think the "Go" is the cheapest and possibly the only non-powered mic in the VideoMic series.  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

I bought a different Rode mic that has battery power. I tried it, and it does work with my T71.
Announcements