cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird shutter issue with t2i

akouvi511
Contributor

Hi! 

I have a wonderful Canon EOS Rebel t2i that I just love to death. I bought it second hand and have been using it for the past 6 months. Today, I pulled it out to take a picture and the shutter stuck! This happens on M & Av modes, but not on any of the other & automatic modes. I checked the mirror lock and that's not on.

So basically, what happens is:

Camera focuses, I press to take the photo and the shutter makes it's regular sound and closes... and then does not open up again. There is a red light that blinks, the screen is black, and after about 22 seconds, it re-opens and the photo is over exposed.

What is happening? How do I fix it? How did this happen? I am currently traveling and won't be able to take it in for diagnostics immediately. 

Thanks for the help!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

f/11 at Av together with ISO 100 in that light condition will need 20 seconds.

View solution in original post

Test it in M mode.  In Av mode, the camera will select a shutter speed based upon the Aperture, ISO, and available light.  A long shutter time could be normal for the conditions. 

Try dialing in the same settings [Shuuter, Apeture, ISO] from the A mode, into manual, and take another test shot.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

At least on M, what is the shutter speed set at?

It's at 1/250, F6.3

@akouvi511 wrote:

It's at 1/250, F6.3

Do you have a second lens that you try?  We need to determine if it is the camera or the current lens.  What lens are you using?

Yes, trying now! I am using an 18-55mm.

I just tried out my 50mm and yes, it does the same thing.

Test it in M mode.  In Av mode, the camera will select a shutter speed based upon the Aperture, ISO, and available light.  A long shutter time could be normal for the conditions. 

Try dialing in the same settings [Shuuter, Apeture, ISO] from the A mode, into manual, and take another test shot.

Wow... thank you both! You are both right! Thank you so much. Now, to return to the basics so that I don't panic and make a mountain out of a molehill because I don't understand the ISO/aperture/shutter trifecta. 

Thanks again! Very helpful!!

Peter
Authority
Authority

Upload two pictures here. One from M or Av and one from Auto. Then we can take a look at the EXIF information bundled in the pictures.

IMG_7161.JPGIMG_7162.jpgThe top is in Av mode, the bottom is in full auto mode

Announcements