Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

Weird issue with photos not saving on T6i

I recently got a Rebel T6i. Sometimes when I take pictures, the pictures don't save. Here is what happens.

I will be taking pictures. While shooting, I can press the preview button and scroll through all the photos I've taken. All the new photos that I've taken since last power on are there, along with old photos. However, sometimes when I power down, and then power up again, the last batch of photos are not there. This has happened to me twice in the last few days. It seems to happen randomly - sometimes all the photos will be saved, sometimes they won't be.

Faulty SD card maybe?

Thanks for your time.

Honored Contributor

Re: Weird issue with photos not saving on T6i

When you preview on the camera LCD you are reading from the card. There is no camera RAM, so I don’t think its a “Save” issue.

What happens if you read the card in your computer?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X, Rebel T5i, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, MX472, LRCC Classic
VIP

Try a new SD card from a major brand.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
VIP

"Faulty SD card maybe?"

Why are you not buying a new SD card as we speak?  This is a simple task to see if it is the card. Anyway you can't trust that SD card.

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!
Honored Contributor

@joshuabarnes wrote:

I recently got a Rebel T6i. Sometimes when I take pictures, the pictures don't save. Here is what happens.

I will be taking pictures. While shooting, I can press the preview button and scroll through all the photos I've taken. All the new photos that I've taken since last power on are there, along with old photos. However, sometimes when I power down, and then power up again, the last batch of photos are not there. This has happened to me twice in the last few days. It seems to happen randomly - sometimes all the photos will be saved, sometimes they won't be.

Faulty SD card maybe?

Thanks for your time.

On most Canon DSLRs the viewing option doesn't necessarily show you every picture. For example, you can set it to show you every tenth picture. Could that be what's happening to you?

In any event, the correct way to debug this problem is to put the card in a card reader and find out what the computer sees. If all the pictures are there, the problem is with the way you're viewing them.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Highlighted
VIP

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@joshuabarnes wrote:

Faulty SD card maybe?

Thanks for your time.

On most Canon DSLRs the viewing option doesn't necessarily show you every picture. For example, you can set it to show you every tenth picture. Could that be what's happening to you?

In any event, the correct way to debug this problem is to put the card in a card reader and find out what the computer sees. If all the pictures are there, the problem is with the way you're viewing them.

I am going to categorically rule out that possibility.  Yes, the camera can “jump” over photos as you scroll through them during playback.  But, when you first power up the camera, it should always show you the most recent photo.

There is another possibility, though.  Folder selection.  When you play back photos in the camera, it will only show you photos in the folder selected for saving new photos.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."