cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird Beam of Light in Photos (examples shown)

tomz1
Apprentice

Hi all,

I'm having some difficulty with my camera, and was very much hoping someone could steer me in the right direction of a solution. As seen in the photos, a consistent beam of light is showing up in each photo. I was photograping on the beach when it began, and the problem shows up no matter what lens I'm using. The camera was not dropped; the issue began all of a sudden and unfortunately continues. Any help or sugestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks!

Tom

IMG_7476.JPG

IMG_7597.JPG

8 REPLIES 8

Jason
Whiz

Hi, tomz1!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know which camera model you are using.  This ensures the appropriate information is provided for your camera. 

We look forward to your response.  Have a great day!

Thank you for the reply.

The camera is an EOS Rebel XSi.  

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Tomz1,

This appears to be a shutter malfunction.  Unfortunately, your camera will require repair.  You may click here for service options.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you very much for the reply. I figured as much, but I really appreciate hearing it from someone more knowledgeable than myself!

It looks like one of the blades of the shutter has broke.

If your camera does need a shutter, as I suspect, you may want to consider and up-grade.  I don't know the price of replacing a shutter on a XSi but it is likely in the $200 to $300 range.

Example a T3i is around $499.  A refurb from Canon is even less.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

thank you very much ebiggs1! I appreciate the advice, and I'm going to take it! time for a new camera!

Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

If you do decide to look at upgrading... ask Canon about their loyalty program.  This allows you to trade in your current camera for larger discount on a refurb than you would get it if you bought the refurb without the loyalty program.

The discounts and models in the program vary -- so you'll have to ask about it when you contact Canon for service and they can tell you what's currently in the program (it changes all the time.)

The main point is... if you decide you don't want to repair your existing camera, don't discard it because it's worth a trade-in credit.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements