cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Waterproof Housing for Canon T5

SiobhanC
Apprentice

Can anybody recommend a waterproof housing for Canon T5, that is around $300 and from a reputable company?

Something that will neither break the bank, nor my camera 

5 REPLIES 5

cicopo
Elite

It's very unlikely you can buy anything worth buying at double that budget.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

True "waterproof" (as in "underwater" housings) for a DSLR camera are typically in the $1000+ category.   Also... since the lenses can be swapped on the camera, there's no one-design that works for everything.  So there's usually a more complicated cost structure where you buy the "housing" for the body plus the "port" for the lens and you can swap ports depending on what lens you are using.

That's for true "waterproof" housings.

There are lots of water repellant solutions (rain-jackets that keep the camera dry from weather but would not keep the camera dry if submerged.) These range from very inexpensive disposable (roughly the quality of a plastic sandwich bag) to higher quality durable rain-jackets that can cost a few hundred dollars.  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@SiobhanC wrote:

Can anybody recommend a waterproof housing for Canon T5, that is around $300 and from a reputable company?

Something that will neither break the bank, nor my camera 

One of the best deals going for underwater/dive photography is the Canon G1X.

The G1X's sensor is larger than that of micro 4/3's camera. A new genuine Canon underwater case for the G1X Mk II is around $275 and a refurbished G1X Mk II is about $550.

Canon WP-DC53 Waterproof Case for PowerShot G1 X Mark II

• Depth Rating: 130'
  • Fiber-Optic/Wireless Strobe Connectivity
  • Mechanical Controls
  • Access to Virtually All Camera Functions

With some careful shopping you could probably be able to put together underwater kit with the original G1X and its WP-DC44 underwater case for very close to your budget.  

That is my dive camera. I picked up the WP-DC44 underwater case when they were being cleared out for $100, and picked up a refurbished original G1X to go with it. Those are both sold out right now, but, can be sourced on ebay.

If you want a waterproof camera without breaking your budget, then forget the T5.  Think "point and shoot" camera.  Canon makes the "Powershot D30" camera, which is supposed to be waterproof right out of the box.  It sells at price that is within the budget you cited.  It offers 12 MP resolution, and uses a Digic 4 processor, the same one in your T5.

Other waterproof options from Canon are waterproof cases from a handful of their Powershot cameras.  The cases sell for close to the same price as the Powershot D30.  I would keep the T5 away from the water, and go with the D30.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements