cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Waterfall Photography Using Timer Question/Problem

Charbear
Apprentice

First post here. I've had my Rebel 7Ti for a couple of years now. I mostly use it for waterfall photography (with a tripod of course). As opposed to using a shutter release cable, I've primarily been taking the shots using the timer (a lot of my shots are a 0.5 - 2 sec exposures). If I recall correctly, I would partially depress the shutter to lock in focus, then push it all the way down to start the timer. I usually take 3 exposures of each shot (often +-2/3 stops).

This last round of pictures, many came out quite blurry. Perhaps I somehow messed up the focus? The only thing I believe I may have done differently is to put the timer on 2secs as opposed to 10secs. I might have done that during a previous session or two..not sure..but if I did, those shots turned out fine.
Do the experts on here see an issues with using the timer as opposed to a shutter release when taking longer exposure shots using a tripod? If so, could someone please describe why and also provide a bit of education on how to use/improve either the timer process or the shutter release cable process?

Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

It happens.  We all make mistakes without realizing.  Don't blame the camera.  It might get mad at you.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

2 second timer should be adequate as long as you just press the shutter and then don't touch camera. 

Since you are on a tripod you can focus the lens via camera and then switch lens to MF position. 

lf you are going to be bracketing your shots you can set the camera to AEB. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks John. I use AEB. So you are saying for each shot, I should press the shutter down 1/2 way to lock in the focus, then switch to manual...or I guess just focus each shot manually? Maybe I pushed halfway down to lock the focus then took my finger off and repressed the shutter. I would think that would cause the focus to mess up. All I know if I took a lot of pics over the last two years and did not really see much of an issue.

Thanks again. What would you say is the best way to take waterfall shots at long exposures on a tripod are greatly apprecaited!

Either approach should work. When I shoot waterfalls I let the camera focus and then switch to manual focus since I know nothing will be changing. I use a 2 second shutter delay to be sure I don't shake the camera.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

"What would you say is the best way to take waterfall shots at long exposures on a tripod are greatly apprecaited!"

Here's the thing.  If you are taking long exposures, you are probably using a small aperture, like f8 for instance.  Focus shouldn't be a big problem as DOF should kick in and help.  I like manual focus for this. It will be critical nothing moves though. Especially if multiple shots are to be stacked, HDR. That could be confused for OOF shots. The 2 second timer delay should be fine.

Could you post a sample?  Seeing exactly what you are trying to do will help us a lot.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements