cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to upgrade from T3

Fosterb
Apprentice
Hello,
I am looking for a more advanced camera then my t3. I started taking photos for fun about a 2 years ago, and now i am getting into this hobby. My budget is under $800 for a body only. My main reason for this upgrade is for
1. Faster FPS (6-12)
2. Vari-angle LCD
3. More AF cross type points (9-...)

I dont care much about movie quality, weight, or "dual sd slots".

Please let me know if you have any ideas for me! Thanks!

I've been wanting to upgrade for a while now, and im looking at the 7d and 60d
9 REPLIES 9

ScottyP
Authority
Hi Foster.

A T6i would be a good upgrade and give you what you want. The 70d has nothing you list as important that isn't on the T6i, though it does have AFMA so you could tune your lenses to the camera if needed, though it is generally not needed. Also the 70d shoots 7fps while T6i does 5fps.

Some people claim the 70d has autofocus problems but others claim they are wrong/user error. I can't weigh in on that but I might shy away from the 70d for that reason anyway now that T6i and T6s are here.

I would hesitate to spend my upgrade budget on a body before I first upgraded the lenses beyond the kit glass. The glass makes a lot more of a difference in image quality. On the other hand you didn't say you wanted more image quality or low light ability, but rather FPS and a tilt screen so maybe you would be happiest going with another body.

What lenses do you have?
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The T5i has 9 cross-type points.

The T6i has 19 cross-type points.

But none of the Rebel series bodies can shoot faster than 5 fps in continuous burst mode.  

The Canon 70D has 19 cross-type points and can shoot 7 fps in continuous burst mode, but "body only" price on a 70D is $999.  

If you want faster continuous burst speed, it implies your doing action photography.  And if you're doing action photography you probably also need a lens with fast focusing motors (e.g. Canon lenses that come equipped with "USM" focusing motors are the fastest -- though some USM lense models are faster than others.)  If your shooting with lenses that have basic focusing motors, they may not be able to keep up with the camera (the camera *and* the lens both have to be able to perform fast enough.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Fosterb
Apprentice
I currently am only using a Quantaray EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 lens and the 18-55mm kit lens. I am also looking into either a 55-250mm lens or 75-300mm lens. Any suggestions?

You haven't said what you shoot, and what shooting is most important to you, which is relevant. Football? Kids? Landscape? Portraits? Travel shots?
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

I usually would agree with Scott and say check the lens first.  It is almost always better to get better lenses.  But in your case you need both.  Bower, Samyang, Vivitar, etc, are usually inferior in quality and are best avoided. Quantaray is rebranded Tamron.  But Tamron makes them to a price point, not a quality point.  Some are rebranded Sigma and the same is true there also.  Did you get this outfit from Ritz Camera?

At any rate it would not be the best case to use it on a nice 70D if you want the most it can provide.  I am not sue the T6i is a $800 dollar upgrade over a T3.  From what you stated was your goal, that is.  There is no doubt it does offer better everything, however.  Just how much?

The 70D on the other hand is a true upgrade as it is a different class of body altogther.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Fosterb
Apprentice
Thanks for all the advice!
I usually shoot travel photos, macro, lots of action, and landscapes. I wont need high ISO or video. The flip out screen is a priority but it isn't a must-have. The 70d seems like im paying too much just for the video/movie aspect.
Is there any other body i might want to look into?

There just aren't huge increases in the Rebel line in IQ model to next model.  But going from a T3 to a T5i or a T6i is going to offer some advantages in useability and IQ.

What exactly is the T3 not doing for you.

EB

Fosterb
Apprentice
My T3 is bacically just lacking high fps, AF cross types, and build quality

OK you probably do not want another Rebel.

Higher FPS and build quality will be about the same.  You will get better AF results.

You probably do need to get into the 70D or something D series.  Or if budget can handle it, the ultimate 7D or 7D Mk II.

EB
Announcements