cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vintage Sigma Lens on EOS Rebel T6?

siennasue
Apprentice

I apologize if this has been asked already; I couldn't find the information I was looking for.

I have a Canon EOS Rebel T6 Camera and would like to know if Sigma Auto Focus Lenses would work on it.  I may have access to a Sigma lens, DL Zoom, 35-80 mm, 1:4-5.6 and a Sigma lens UC Zoom, 70-210 mm, 1:4 - 5.6

From what I've been able to search out so far, I think it's a maybe. 🙂   I would really appreciate your input on this.  Thank you in advance.

Sorry, I should add, these were used on a Canon (film) camera.

8 REPLIES 8

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Does it have a canon mount? If so, it is worth a try.

I just went in and editted my post.  I forgot to mention that these lenses were used on an old Canon (film) camera.  So I'm thinking they might just work.  From what I've read, if they fit okay the only difference is the focal point is further away ....by 1.6 times

@siennasue wrote:

I just went in and editted my post.  I forgot to mention that these lenses were used on an old Canon (film) camera.  So I'm thinking they might just work.  From what I've read, if they fit okay the only difference is the focal point is further away ....by 1.6 times

Digital image sensors tend to reflect light back up into the lens, whcih can cause ghosting and fogging of the image.  "Digital lenses" incorporate special coatings to reduce these reflections.  A "film lens" does not have these coating, because the problem was unheard of at the time.

Also, today's "digital lenses" are much better made compared to "film lenses" of yesteryear.  Don't be surprised if they do not produce  images as sharp as the camera kit lens that may have came with your camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

A piece of glass loses about 8% of the light via reflections. Once Lenses added multiple elements and elements cemented together, anti reflection coatings were essential for performance. They were in use *long* before digital.

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2017/06/the-comprehensive-ranking-of-the-major-uv-filters-on-the-ma...

ScottyP
Authority

How vintage are we talking here?  Canon introduced the now-current EF mount for its cameras in 1987, and of course in 1987 cameras were film-users.  So there are some film era lenses that fit current DSLR's; the ones with the EF mount. 

There was maybe a little overlap after that introduction, but basically the old Canon FD mount died around that point. Any lens that mounted on Canon EF mount would mount on your T6.  No FD mount lenses would. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Think about this, the Rebel T6 is a nice camera.  Those lenses are not.  Do you really think using them is a good idea?

Time to leave the past in the past and walk on by, IMHO, of course.

In theory, they should be compatible.  But in practice, it’s not always true. I’ve seen several cases of old off brand lenses not focusing accurately on new Rebels. This can’t be corrected easily. Or they just will not work at all.

The EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Lens is designed to work with the Rebel T6.  Didn't you get it with your Rebel?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

siennasue
Apprentice

Well, I received the lenses.  They were originally purchased for a Canon film camera (Sigma lenses made for Canon, so I'm told).

They fit the camera, no problem.  They do work, sort of.  It would appear they work on some settings.  I'm still experimenting.

Thank you everyone for your imput.  I appreciate it. Smiley Happy

None of the Basic shooting modes will work properly with the fully manual lenses.  You must use Creative shooting modes.

You  want to use fully manual lenses with the camera in either M or Av modes.  Manually set your ISO.  Depending upon the shooting mode, setting an aperture value can affect how the camera meters a scene. 

It will take a little practice to get the hang of metering.  Enable Exposure Simulation, and compare Live View exposure metering to Live View exposure metering.  You will discover that manually changing the aperture on lens can throw off the way the camera meters the scene.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements