cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Videoing dance recital with rebel t3i

Deniserbowman
Apprentice
Help! I've been video recording during dance rehearsals with my rebel t3i and at times the video is grainy and blurry. What is the optimal video settings for recording low lights except the dancer who is moving. I am fairly close in video proximity. It's a small dance studio. I am a novice to utilizing my camera for videoing.
3 REPLIES 3

Deniserbowman
Apprentice
I am using the stock 18-55mm Lens

Low light conditions are tough. I use P mode and Auto ISO. If you can't get better lighting you will get grain (digital noise).

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

Low light conditions are tough. I use P mode and Auto ISO. If you can't get better lighting you will get grain (digital noise).

Yes, low light conditions are tough.  One way around it is to use a faster lens, one with a smaller f/stop number.  I would also assume that you're using the standard zoom, kit lens at the shorter focal lengths.  If not, you should.  And, a well leveled head on a leveled tripod would make your results look better, too.  I would suggest a fast, wide angle lens, but not too wide, though.

Depending upon your budget [with a T3i] I would recommend several, starting with the Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM, which is made specifically for a EF-S mount cameras like your Rebel T3i.  There is also the 16mm f/2.0 ED AS UMC CS Lens for Canon EF-S Mount from Rokinon, or its' Bower cousin with the same model number, as a good manually operated lens, which is also made for the EF-S mount camera bodies.

At the moment, I think the best buy for an inexpensive wide angle, fast lens would be the 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC Lens for Canon EF from Rokinon. It is currently selling at my favorite online superstore at a deep discount.  Besides, the Canon lens, it is currently the least expensive of the lenses that I have suggested.  This lens is made for full-frame camera bodies, and it will also work on your T3i.  The T3i would crop the images quite nicely.

This lens is also a fully, manually operated lens, which means that there is no auto-focus mechanism built into the lens.  You would need to put the camera into "M" mode, set the ISO and f/stop to "Auto", and adjust lens' aperture and focus from the rear LCD screen.  Dial in about f/4, or faster, on the lens.

While that may sound difficult, it is actually more than worth the effort.  It requires the use of a tripod for focusing, but once you get a good focus set at "infinity", then anything more than a car length away will be in focus. 

There are also "cine", short for cinema, versions fo the Rokinon and Bower lenses, which I happen to prefer because of their "declicked" aperture rings.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements