cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video recording on Rebel T1i.

sovus
Apprentice

Hey guys!
I have a Canon EOS D500 (also known as Rebel T1i) and I was wondering if I could use it as a video camera to record my youtube videos. It does have an HD video recording option but the video it records is wayyy too large. A simple 3 min video was way over 300mb. The videos I want to record are usually over an hour long and it seems completely impossible to do with my camera. I tried playing with manual video setting but these seem to be pretty limited with no control over even such simple things as shutter speed. What are the best settings for my camera model to record decent quality video that won’t turn into a file that is way too huge to manage?
Thank you in advance for your help!

3 REPLIES 3

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

You can set a smaller resolution like 640x480 for small files, but it won't record more than 30 minutes at a time.

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

If you're willing to dig in a bit you can edit and copy the your HD video to a lower resolution copy. Even some really basic video editing software (Windows Movie Maker, Corel Video Studio, or the like) should allow you to do that. Bit of a learning curve but the results can be quite satisfactory.

There are some free editing software downloads available as well but you'll want to read some of the reviews first. Many of the freeware versions can also include spyware and/or malware.

Or like kvbarkley noted, just shoot your video at one of the lower resolution settings.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@sovuswrote:

Hey guys!
I have a Canon EOS D500 (also known as Rebel T1i) and I was wondering if I could use it as a video camera to record my youtube videos. It does have an HD video recording option but the video it records is wayyy too large. A simple 3 min video was way over 300mb. The videos I want to record are usually over an hour long and it seems completely impossible to do with my camera. I tried playing with manual video setting but these seem to be pretty limited with no control over even such simple things as shutter speed. What are the best settings for my camera model to record decent quality video that won’t turn into a file that is way too huge to manage?
Thank you in advance for your help!

Buy a dash camera.  Most can double as a web cam.  They also allow you to control the size of the files, typically two minutes each.  They individual files are easily combined into a larger file.  It is the least expensive solution that I know.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements