cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video Bokeh with SL2 how to?

arturon
Apprentice

Does SL2 can film in manual? or how can i archive bokeh with it? (video)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AFAIK, negative.  

The DSLR’s employ auto-aperture control, at 1/3 stop increments.  If the DSLR were to change the aperture during video recording, the exposure would seem to suddenly change up/down by a noticeable amount.  The same would true for automatically adjusting ISO during a video recording.

If you wish to adjust aperture while shooting video, consider investing into a “cinema lens”, which has a “declicked” aperature that can be continuously adjusted, instead of in discrete steps.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@arturon wrote:

Does SL2 can film in manual? or how can i archive bokeh with it? (video)

How?  By first learning how to shoot stills, so that you can build an understanding of the Exposure Triangle and Depth of Field.

No, i get it, at higher aperture you get shallower depth of field, my question was if you can control that with the sl2(while filming) i only own a t5 and it can't. i know sl2 is not pro tier, but was wondering if it can.

AFAIK, negative.  

The DSLR’s employ auto-aperture control, at 1/3 stop increments.  If the DSLR were to change the aperture during video recording, the exposure would seem to suddenly change up/down by a noticeable amount.  The same would true for automatically adjusting ISO during a video recording.

If you wish to adjust aperture while shooting video, consider investing into a “cinema lens”, which has a “declicked” aperature that can be continuously adjusted, instead of in discrete steps.

No, lower aperture (i,e, F/1.8-F/3 or so) gets you lower depth of field.

@kvbarkley wrote:

No, lower aperture (i,e, F/1.8-F/3 or so) gets you lower depth of field.

No, Arturon is right. It's lower focal ratio ("f number") that gets you lower depth of field. But lower focal ratio means higher (i.e., wider) aperture. Focal length is the numerator of the ratio; the diameter of the aperture is the denominator.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@arturon wrote:

No, i get it, at higher aperture you get shallower depth of field, my question was if you can control that with the sl2(while filming) i only own a t5 and it can't. i know sl2 is not pro tier, but was wondering if it can.

The T5 is not a good choice for shooting video.  It has been designed to introduce new users to DSLRs.  The SL1 and SL2, are compact versions of the entry level DSLRs.  Neither of them excel at shooting video, and neither to most Rebel bodies.  These bodies are easily outgrown by most anyone who catches DSLR Fever.

If you want to invest in camera body upgrade over your T5, save your money for a camera body in the “next tier” of the Canon DSLR lineup, the photo enthusiast camera bodies.  These bodies have model numbers that resemble #0D.  The EOS 80D is the most current photo enthusiast camera body.  

The 80Dis a top notch performer, and has professional grade features, like AFMA, which allows you to tune lens performance to the camera body.  It also excels at shooting video, because it has the rare talent of being able to autofocus while shooting video.  Most DSLRs cannot, and those that claim they can, struggle to do it.  The 80D uses Canon’s “Dual Pixel CMOS” image sensor to be able to dynamically focus while shooting video.  It is a feature typically found in cinema grade video cameras.

Announcements