cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vertical lines on pictures and videos - Rebel SL1

aweltner
Apprentice

While at a high school band concert last week we were trying to shoot video and take pictures while video was on. (we were in a low light area shooting towards a lit up stage) After we were finished the vertical lines appeared. The pictures we took before are fine and look good, everything after this is affected with the vertical lines. I tried a factory reset and a different sd card but nothing helped. The camera is 16 months old. any ideas that might fix our situation would be greatly appriciated, our son graduates HS in 15 days. I uploaded the origional picture, if you zoom in at different zoom levels the lines get worse.

Thanks,

JoeRebel SL1 Vertical Lines.jpg

10 REPLIES 10

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Aweltner,

Thanks for posting.

Do you see these lines when shooting in RAW or when shooting movies?

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi Richard,

Yes, the Raw format still has the vertical lines on the picture.

Joe

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

This sounds like a camera problem and the camera may require service.

But just to be sure... what software are you using to import the images and do these lines appear if you use any other software?

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You said you tried a 'different' SD card?  Was it a high quality card like Transend, Lexar or Sandisk?  If not buy one from a good source not a bargin store. Next make sure you format it in the camera and do a low level format if that option is possible.  Never use your computer to do any functions on the SD card.  Except copying to the computer of course.

You can try a different post editor, too.  Sometimes they don't render the files correctly. New USB cable.

After none of these suggestions work, call Canon Service.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

We are using a SanDisk ultra plus class 10 sd card. I think the problem is in the camera, when I take a picture I can see the vertical lines in the display window after the picture is taken with no card in the camera. At the time this happened, we were able to scroll through the photos on the camera and see a distinct change in photo quality. Would updating the firmware fix this? My camera firmware version Is 1.0.0 and my lens version is 1.5.0

Thanks, 

Joe

Firmware probably won't help. Here is what it says for 1.01:

"Firmware Version 1.0.1 incorporate the following fix:

Corrects a phenomenon in which when using the camera with the EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM or EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM lens, even if lens aberration correction is set to "Enable", correction will not be applied."

This does not sound related to your issue.

Joe,

Firmware, as stated above won't likely help, generally is to address lens issues or add lenses.  Sometimes there is a camera issue but it is usually a widely know thing that Canon readily see.

You need to call Canon Service.  I don't think it is a quick fix that you can do. Sorry. Smiley Sad If you did the things I suggested above, you're done with what it might have been.  They will likely ask you the same things first so make sure you did them.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Never use your computer to do any functions on the SD card.  Except copying to the computer of course.

I rate that advice as incomplete at best. A couple of days ago, for example, I used a computer to copy a firmware update to a CF card, used the card to update my wife's 7D2, then erased the firmware file and returned the card to the camera. Perfectly normal (and harmless) operation.

And if a card is badly misformatted (e.g., if it has the wrong file system), you may need to format it on a computer, just to make it recognizable by the camera. You should then have the camera format it again, of course.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA

Perhaps you were lucky. Next time maybe not so lucky. Why risk it?

I believe the only way to get firmware updated is with a computer but that was not the issue here.

I am no computer expert. My computer friends tell me that it is always preferable to format any CF or SD card in the actual device where it is going to be used. I understand that a computer makes a space for the computer's OS to live in.  The camera does not do this. Formating in the camera causes the DCIM folder structure to be created instead.  But what do I know?  Use your computer if you wnat to, I don't care.

EB
Announcements