cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vertical lines on pictures and videos - Rebel SL1

aweltner
Apprentice

While at a high school band concert last week we were trying to shoot video and take pictures while video was on. (we were in a low light area shooting towards a lit up stage) After we were finished the vertical lines appeared. The pictures we took before are fine and look good, everything after this is affected with the vertical lines. I tried a factory reset and a different sd card but nothing helped. The camera is 16 months old. any ideas that might fix our situation would be greatly appriciated, our son graduates HS in 15 days. I uploaded the origional picture, if you zoom in at different zoom levels the lines get worse.

Thanks,

JoeRebel SL1 Vertical Lines.jpg

10 REPLIES 10

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA

Perhaps you were lucky. Next time maybe not so lucky. Why risk it?

I believe the only way to get firmware updated is with a computer but that was not the issue here.

I am no computer expert. My computer friends tell me that it is always preferable to format any CF or SD card in the actual device where it is going to be used. I understand that a computer makes a space for the computer's OS to live in.  The camera does not do this. Formating in the camera causes the DCIM folder structure to be created instead.  But what do I know?  Use your computer if you wnat to, I don't care.

Neither does Canon. The way I did the update is one of the two ways Canon suggests you do it. (As it happens, it's the safer way. The only time I ever screwed up a firmware update was when I was trying to do it directly from a computer. I had to send the camera to the Canon repair shop and pick it up on the way to a family wedding where my wife was going to use it.)

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements