cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using wifi to download photos to computer

melly82
Apprentice

Hello all, I recently upgraded from a T1i to a T7i, and I was looking forward to being able to transfer photos from my camera to my computer over wifi. I couldn't find instructions for doing so in the manual, but I found a few youtube videos. I got the EOS utility set up on my Mac, paired the camera, and successfully transferred some photos.

However, the process of paring the camera required me to disconnect from my wifi network and connect the computer to a wifi network listed on the camera. This was a tedious and inconvenient process, and I am wondering if I am missing something. It can't be that this is the wifi option advertised on these newer cameras? Is there really no way to just connect the camera to my existing wifi (which my computer is already on) and transfer the photos? Do I really have to switch my wifi every time I want to transfer photos?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@melly82 wrote:

Thanks for your reply, and for the link to the manuals! Just to clarify, I am not looking to have photos automatically save to my computer. I just want to occasionally download them from my camera to my computer, and thought that wifi connectivity would make that easy. But if I have to disconnect from my home wifi network (thus, disconnecting from the internet) to connect to the "camera's" network, then go through several steps back and forth to pair the devices, and then reconnect to my home internet when I'm done - every time I want to download a photo - it's not worth the effort, and I'll just get a cable to plug the camera in directly. Before buying a cable, I just wanted to make sure that I am not misunderstanding this. 

It's probably possible to do what you want to do, but you might have to learn a bit more about WiFi networking first. Whether it's worth the trouble depends on your point of view. I'll put it to you this way: At one point in my career as a computer programmer, I could pass myself off as a WiFi expert. And I've successfully connected my 5D4 to a computer using WiFi. But I generally find it more convenient to download pictures via a USB cable or to use a card reader.

USB cables are not particularly expensive. Just make sure it isn't one of the cheapo "charging only" type.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

@melly82 wrote:

Thanks for your reply, and for the link to the manuals! Just to clarify, I am not looking to have photos automatically save to my computer. I just want to occasionally download them from my camera to my computer, and thought that wifi connectivity would make that easy. But if I have to disconnect from my home wifi network (thus, disconnecting from the internet) to connect to the "camera's" network, then go through several steps back and forth to pair the devices, and then reconnect to my home internet when I'm done - every time I want to download a photo - it's not worth the effort, and I'll just get a cable to plug the camera in directly. Before buying a cable, I just wanted to make sure that I am not misunderstanding this. 

The Canon Connect Station is designed to do that.  Wi-Fi transfer speeds are not the fastest in the world.  The best way to download photos is either via USB or a card reader.   Wi-Fi is very effective for remote controll, though.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

It is a common misconception to equate "wi-fi" to mean "networkable".  It fooled me, too.  All it really means is that camera uses standard Wi-Fi connectivity to communicate with certain Wi-Fi enabled devices. 

6BA25E89-BD5D-4BA8-96FF-787F82468304.jpeg

The functionality compliments mobile smart devices very well.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/eos-dslr-and-mirrorless-ca... 

Wi-Fi has a separate instruction manual.  You can download all of the manuals at the above link.  It contains instructions on how to connect to a LAN.  

I do not think you can take photos, and have them automatically save to your hard drive on a computer, though.  I think you would have to use Canon's Digital Photo Professional 4 Remote Shooting, and control the camera from the computer.  

That is how it works running Windows, so I guess it should be the same for a MAC.  Be aware that many users of Apple devices have experienced difficulty connecting to Canon cameras due to recent Apple updates.  You seem fortunate to not have this issue.

@melly82 wrote:

It's probably possible to do what you want to do, but you might have to learn a bit more about WiFi networking first. Whether it's worth the trouble depends on your point of view. I'll put it to you this way: At one point in my career as a computer programmer, I could pass myself off as a WiFi expert. And I've successfully connected my 5D4 to a computer using WiFi. But I generally find it more convenient to download pictures via a USB cable or to use a card reader.

USB cables are not particularly expensive. Just make sure it isn't one of the cheapo "charging only" type.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@melly82 wrote:

The Canon Connect Station is designed to do that.  Wi-Fi transfer speeds are not the fastest in the world.  The best way to download photos is either via USB or a card reader.   Wi-Fi is very effective for remote controll, though.

Thanks all, I will go ahead and get a USB cable. I have a newer Macbook, and they sadly got rid of the SD card reader that the old ones had - that was so convenient!

Announcements