cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using headphones with Rebel t6i

Astramario
Contributor
Hi everyone!

I’m scratching my head over how best to monitor sound on the rebel t6i. On 4 different occasions, my students have come back from in-field reporting using my Rebel t6i with an xlr mic attached to the aux mic jack. For completely unrelated reasons, the sound came back as static. We’ve since figured out what the problem came from, but having headphone monitoring could have avoided what ended up being a totally useless interview.

Any thoughts on how best to add headphones to the camera?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Buy a new camera, there is no provision for headphones or other external monitors, In fact, the sound does not come out of the HDMI port - probably to prevent feedback.

How are you adapting the XLR to the camera?

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Buy a new camera, there is no provision for headphones or other external monitors, In fact, the sound does not come out of the HDMI port - probably to prevent feedback.

How are you adapting the XLR to the camera?

Astramario
Contributor
Using an XLR to aux adapter

You can go into the microphone settings, there is an audio-level meter that shows up there that you can use to verify that the mic is plugged in properly.

Astramario
Contributor
So what DSLR would you recommend that would include audio monitoring?

I think the 80D is the lowest end model with a headphone jack.

John_SD
Whiz

@Astramario wrote:
We’ve since figured out what the problem came from, but having headphone monitoring could have avoided what ended up being a totally useless interview.

Any thoughts on how best to add headphones to the camera?

Why are you using a DSLR? You should be looking into camcorders. Canon makes some nice ones. 

what is the solution? i also have a T6i

Doesn't sound like there is one Macadoo. The only solution I'm reading is to get a camcorder. Speaking of which, can anybody recommend a descent camcorder here? One that includes a mic and headphone jack?

Hey John. Could you recommend a descent camcorder for those of us who are on a budget?

Announcements