cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a full-frame (FX) lens on my T5i......??

scottjg24
Contributor

I have been eyeing a Tokina 17-35mm f/4 Pro FX lens for Canon mount on B&H Photo & Video's web site plus trying to find reviews on both Popular Photography & Shutterbug magazines.  My main questions are when using a wide-angled, full-frame lens on my T5i would affect taking photos.  Will there be cropping?  I am unsure what to expect.  Down the road, I may get a Canon full-frame camera but that's a long way off right now.  Any input would be appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@scottjg24 wrote:

I have been eyeing a Tokina 17-35mm f/4 Pro FX lens for Canon mount on B&H Photo & Video's web site plus trying to find reviews on both Popular Photography & Shutterbug magazines.  My main questions are when using a wide-angled, full-frame lens on my T5i would affect taking photos.  Will there be cropping?  I am unsure what to expect.  Down the road, I may get a Canon full-frame camera but that's a long way off right now.  Any input would be appreciated.

On your T5i the field of view will be approximately a full frame equivalent of 28mm - 52mm due to the crop sensor.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

If you get used to thinking in "angle-of-view" instead of mm you will have an easier time figuring out how it will look.  Your camera does not crop anything.  Its sensor is just smaller than a 35mm full frame. The term crop camera comes from what would happen if you tried to duplicate the same AOV in and editor such as Photoshop. You would "crop" it.

What you see in your viewfinder is exactly what your picture will look like.  

But as long as you use the same AOV lens, it matters not what camera you use.  It will be exactly the same. For example, 46 degree AOV is considered normal.  Any camera with a 46 degree AOV lens will show a normal perspective.  However it will be a 50mm lens on a FF and a 35mm lens on a Rebel and 25mm on a 4 thirds body.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements